Tuesday 13 December 2011

Tuesday.



I said on yesterday's blog entry that we were going to look at a clock that needed fixing. The clock is illustrated above, and I have to say that it's one of the nicest clocks I've been called out to in some years. It was made in London by a good maker around the year 1690.  Not only is it an extremely good looking clock but I found it to be a nice natured clock to work on, too.  It yielded to my ministrations in around ten minutes flat, and is now doing its duty again, going and striking reliably.  A very real pleasure to deal with.
We then made  quite a detour home, in that Ann wanted to go to the Sudbury Waitrose to do some pre Christmas shopping.  Ann said she wanted to do some thoughtful, slow, shopping, and didn't want to be hurried, so I was dispatched to the Waitrose Coffee bar, where there is a rack of newspapers to read, and I spent around forty minutes imbibing coffee and the Times (take the Telegraph so the Times was a nice change - letters not so good, though; and you'll be shocked to learn that the Times is now a tabloid sized newspaper, although I suppose this is a handier size at a small coffee bar table). Ann then summoned me to help unload a large trolleyload of goodies into the car, and we drove home. Very satisfying morning.

We've just had dinner/supper and a good game of scrabble, and as we've the lessons to read at early service tomorrow, I'm off to an early bed.   So - Goodnight all.

2 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

1690! Amazing! Love the farmhouse in the photo below too!

Pat said...

We had separate trolleys for the first time at Morrisons.
Lovely clock.