Thursday 5 April 2012

Thursday.


This morning we motored up the coast to Southwold, to  meet eldest offspring Sarah, her husband Mikey, and their two youngest children, Lucy and Guy. Parked (with luck) and difficulty, Southwold being chocker - i.e. chock/choke full, Lori; then walked to small restaurant, Coasters,  passing on the way above small cottage with cat asleep in sunshine. Lovely day with east wind with just that touch of North in it that makes our east coast so 'bracing'.  Met up at restaurant as planned and had excellent lunch, for which Sarah and Mikey insisted on paying, bless them. 





Then walked to Market place, where Lucy had seen a basket stall, and where she purchased a basket she'd  seen earlier and liked. I'm sorry that the next photos aren't in the right order, or, in the next photo, even in the right position. This is largely because it's fairly late, I've had a lovely (but heavy) day, and seem unable to make this machine behave.   Still, I'm fairly certain that you'll be able to sort out what I'm trying to say. Walked to church (last photo) to show the descendants (the youngsters that is) Southwold Jack (below photo). He is a very well preserved 'clock Jack', built around the year 1480 to strike the hours on the church clock bell, from which he became detached  some centuries ago, but is now allowed to strike the bell to announce the beginning of services. Explained all this to family when the Church attendant (ver elderly, but very bright lady) who approached us at the end of my lecture, agreed with all of it and made my day by asking if I'd like to pull the rope and make him strike, which task I, of course, sprang to. She then asked Guy if he'd like to do the same, which he did assisted by his father. I've known, and admired Southwold Jack for sixty years or so, and never seen him perform, let alone making him strike!!!!!  Tomorrow, when I'm feeling a bit more inventive, I'll try and make him stand upright.




You'll be wondering, no doubt, what the below picture of an early victorian bowl is doing in a blog about a day out in Southwold? The answer is, of course,  not much, except that on our way home we turned off onto the back lanes, went through Yoxford, where Ann spotted the bowl in an antique shop we know, and fell for it. So I bought it for her as a memento of a lovely day out.
                                         Goodnight All.


P.S. Above photo shows back view of oldest daughter Sarah, and her family walking towards Southwold Church.

3 comments:

Crowbard said...

Don't let it go to your head Mike, but your wife has impeccable taste and fine aesthetic sensibilities... I refer of course to her choice of memento... but grudgingly admit she didn't do too badly in choosing a hubby.

I've seen pictures of that clock-jack but yours, despite its horizontality is the clearest.

Pip-pip Ole Fing
LuvBruv

Unknown said...

Not perfect, I'm afraid; slightly cracked, but a good looking old piece. I refer to the bowl, of course.

Pat said...

What a lovely gift.