Thursday 21 April 2011

Maundy Thursday.

On Tuesday morning we drove to London (to be exact, to our youngest daughter's home, just off Chiswich High Street). It was a glorious, sunny, day, and to my surprise, some of her roses are in full bloom (one or two of ours have tiny buds showing). I suppose it's because they're seventy miles south of us, and very sheltered. We had a sandwich lunch, then I went to knightsbridge and 'viewed' Bonham's auction - they still send me 'freebie' catalogues of anything they think might interest me. Ann, and our youngest London grandchild, Beth (she's sixteen) went for a walk along the river, and Ann took the following two photoes, which I think show London at its best. Ann says the photoes were taken from the same spot; one looking towards the Thames, and one with her back to it.



When they got back to the house Ann made supper, ably assisted by Beth. It was a sort of roast chicken bake, done in a celery sauce,
followed by strawberries (Spanish) and cream. My contribution was a bottle of wine I'd won in a raffle at Saturday's Church Bazaar, and which I was a little doubtful about, but which turned out to be very acceptable. It was an Asti Spumante, which I thought might be rather a 'pudding wine', and in fact went very well with the desert.

Back to Bonham's on Wednesday, where I successfully bid for five lots. Ann joined me in Knightsbridge for lunch, and then again towards the end of the auction, after which we took a taxi back to Liz's. Ann again made supper, raiding Liz's fridge for most of the ingreediments of a vegetable bake, and following it with a fruit salad, which she'd purchased in the local shops. We hit the road at 7.30 p.m. and eventually were very glad to get home just before midnight. There seemed to be roadworks and diversions everywhere. Oddly enough the journey down on Tuesday morning took just under two and a half hours, and went like a dream (as opposed to the nightmare journey home). Still - we hit the sack at around midnight, crashed out and eventually woke just before eight this morning. Been doing necessary jobs around the workshop today (relaxed pottering mostly), but we're singing with the choir at this evening's service, so if you'll excuse me, I must go and get meself ready for it.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Our weather is still not the way it should be. Painful to see your blue skies and roses.

Crowbard said...

Lovely roses, Liz, reminded me to post a few pictures of Jude's garden, she's particularly fond of the double-layered daffodil.
I've published them on the Arty-Fax blog for convenience.

http://arty-fax.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-post.html
LuvGUC