Saturday 8 January 2011

Saturday 1.

 


Today we motored over to a local Golf Club, in the restaurant of which the Annual Lunch of our Mothers' Union was being held. Do I hear some pedant (probably Crowbard) murmur "Ah, but you're not a mother, Mike" ? And, of course, technically he is right, but there two answers to confound this putative pedant. The first is that members of the Mothers' Union do not have to be mothers nowadays. And the second answer would be "No, but Ann is, and members of the Mothers' Union (in our branch anyway), are allowed to take partners to the Annual Lunch. So there! participating pedants. It was a lovely lunch, probably the last Christmas lunch I shall have this Christmas. The main course was a choice of beef or turkey (or a slice or two of both) with all the usual accompaniments. Ann had a little of both, and I had beef (a generous serving thereof). Pudding was a fruit salad (Ann), whilst I had the other choice- an individual Christmas pudding with brandy sauce, with a spray(?) of redcurrants across the top, which looked very festive. The above photo shows, left to right, Sandra, Jackie (with whom we lunched on Thursday), Joyce, and Ann, enjoying their coffee after the meal. We broke up at about 3.30 p.m., motored into Sudbury to do a little shopping, and arrived home just before five. More in a min.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Crowbard said...

Whilst occasionally proving sesquipedenial (using words a foot and a half long Lori) I deny all charges of pedantry Mike, despite putting my foot down with a firm hand occasionally and stubbornly refusing to be seduced by illogical modernisms.

I am delighted to see you finally recognising your inner femininity by coming out of the chauvinists' closet and joining the Mothers' Union. When you register with the Women's Institute I shall be delighted to second your application and inform the Pope of these new miracles in Hadleigh and commending your Dean for canonization!

PS Pootatu says 'nanti' - she couldn't be thinking 'Nanti-boy' could she? - Think I'll give her a stern warning against the wrath of Mike, which is slow in coming but terrible when it arrives!

Crowbard said...

PSS Pootatu has taken my stern warning seriously and she apologizes dramatically and fearfully - her next verification word is 'oulament' - ou as in 'Ooh! I'm scared' and lament as in 'deeply sorrowful'.

Crowbard said...

PPS Pootatu admits to being dramatically thespian, which makes me doubt her sincerity
- v-word = 'thess'

Unknown said...

If, when next I am enjoying your hospitality your computer makes that kind of suggestion, I am afraid I may forget the duties incumbent on me as a guest, and beat the blazes out of your mechanical miscreant. It will be of no avail to refer to the item as 'she'. Gallantry will not come into it. Your computer is not a personality, but a machine, albeit occasionally an offensive one, and will be treated as such. I shall proabably end the attack by jumping up and down on the remains, which will be excellent exercise for me. Be warned, O pooter.

P.s. I do hope I haven't hurt her feelings.

Crowbard said...

I fear she may relish the challenge - her next v-word is 'scragi' (i.e. you're too scraggy to hurt me!) which initially sounded like an inappropriate taunt but she might have meant it in a surprised and innocent tone 'Scrag I? who could think of doing such a thing?'