Friday 10 August 2012

Friday 1.


Before walking into town this morning took the above photo of a plant in the garden. The colour of the flowers (which are about half an inch across) is a light sky blue, and the shape of each flower is like a miniature rose.  I don't know the name of it, but I'm sure one of my readers will know (either sister-in-law Judy, or friends Sue and David).


On my way home took the above snap of a hibiscus flower peeping over a neighbour's fence. I think it's called the Bluebird hibiscus, and at one stage it was the only hibiscus that could be relied on to be hardy enough to survive our climate (usually).  There are now several that can be grown outdoors here.


Coming home took this photo of our back garden gate with honeysuckle (Dutch one, with a lovely scent - although there's a wild honeysuckle growing in our back hedge, the scent of which beats this one hollow). I'm letting it grow through our wrought iron gate because the main  branch, that's now growing quite stout, acts as a return spring to the gate, but I may have to prune it before too long.

Should have said - walked into town to go to cafe Church and also to do a little shopping as we've friends John and Margaret coming to lunch. May make a further blog entry later if I remember to take photos at lunch.

12 comments:

Liz said...

Your garden, as ever, looks immaculate. I spent an hour ineffectually chopping at stuff in my garden this morning. It still looks a mess but as least I can now access the shed and the washing line.

Sir Bruin said...

I think there may be a Japanese soldier in our garden who doesn't know that the war is over.

Unknown said...

That sounds really very worrying, Sir B. He will, of course, be armed with a Japanese sword, but console yourself with the thought that, by now, he must be well into his nineties; and if you can only find a weapons dealer who is in a position to sell you (on very reasonable terms) a good, sharp, infantry officer's sword, you will be in a position to repel his advances. And by the strangest of coincidences I..............

Unknown said...

Thank you Liz. It's small enough to keep tidy; and that has the added advantage that any lurking WWII Japanese soldiers would find it difficult to conceal themselves therein.

Crowbard said...

Sir Bruin, to avert all misunderstanding with your WWII japanese 'visitor' simply say '私はご飯とあなたの剣のためのいくつかのキャビネットプディング​​を与える' Which translates as 'I will give you a bowl of rice and some cabinet pudding for your sword.'
I think you will receive a very positive response. And I know of antique dealers who pay modest sums for oriental arms...

Sir Bruin said...

Mike - I was thinking more along the lines of something that made a lot of noise and left a big hole....

Unknown said...

Crowbard - Good thinking. A nice, simple, humane solution to a worrying problem.

Unknown said...

Sir Bruin. Yes, perhaps yours is the more direct idea. Should you wish to borrow a decent, reliable, musket for a few days you'd be very welcome.

Crowbard said...

On the other hand Sir B. I would recommend an asthmatic badger as something which makes a lot of noise and leaves a big hole - for more noise and even bigger holes there are JCBs!... don't quite see how these would resolve the issue of Japanese warriors in the garden though???

Sir Bruin said...

CB - A good point, well made. I should, indeed, have been more specific. A small thermo-nuclear device, perhaps?

Sir Bruin said...

CB- A good point, well made. I should, indeed, have been more specific. A small thermo-nuclear device, perhaps?

Crowbard said...

Sorry Sir B, I've just checked the work-bench and I'm clear out of U235 or I would have knocked something up for you. A similar effect can be achieved by pumping a litre of petrol from a bedroom window through a fine spray into the infested area of your garden. Stand well back and catapult a lighted sqib into the vapour - please check your house insurance first as a total rebuild might be required.