Wednesday 31 March 2010

Wednesday 2.

 


The above long case clock is an old friend (in every sense). I found it in a garden shed (fortunately a dry one) in Ely over thirty years ago.The owner told me it had been in the shed for the previous fifty years or so. I purchased it, took it home, and spent about a week putting it into good order. Ann rather fell in love with it, and I liked it, so we decided to keep it. Since then it has kept very good time, and behaved well - until a few weeks ago, when the time keeping started to go all over the show. This afternoon I took it apart and found the problem straight away (the brass clutch spring behind the hands needed retensioning). I did the necessary, and also adjusted the date wheel pin. I'm fairly certain we've solved the problem but (excuse 'orrible pun) time will tell. Hopefully it will now give us another thirty year's service (or however long we've got). Just had supper, Ann had left me a beef casserole in the slow cooker, and I fried some left over potatoes and cabbage (bubble and squeak, Lori, or colcannon in Ireland) to go with it. Delicious. Bedtime now. Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Crowbard said...

I admire your stoicism Mike. Working on clocks that were ancient when you were born, looking them square in the face and knowing you are unlikely to be available when next they need your craft and wisdom.

Sic transit hora vitam!

Unknown said...

Hi Carl. I think sic transit homo vitam might be nearer the mark.
Cheers, Mike.