Wednesday 17 February 2010

Wednesday 3.

 


Saw the above grotesque in a church we popped into this morning on our way to lunch. Including it mainly to ask Crowbard (who has an interest in such matters) if he thinks it is a type of 'green man'?
Been doing a job this evening that I'd been rather dreading; and (like many dreaded jobs) sailed through it without problems. It was a repair to one of the smallest pocket tinder boxes I've ever seen. If I remember tomorrow, I'll take a snapshot of it and show you. In the meantime - Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

Good grief!!! Frightened the life out of me.

Seems familiar somehow...mmmm

Oh eck.

The shaving mirror in the morning!

No wonder it frightened me!...;)

nite old bean

Crowbard said...

Clearly not a 'Green-man' but I suspect the mason who cut it was deliberately intending to convey the symbology of the Green Man - possibly in a period when Pagan references were frowned upon or possibly under the patronage of a particularly mardy arsed (ban 'em and burn 'em), intolerantly orthodox bishop.

Crowbard said...

You must be very fit and healthy 4Ds....
I can barely locate the shaving mirror by mid-afternoon - let alone recognize a face in it (I think that was a face I saw) in the morning.