Thursday 24 September 2020

Thursday



Mystery  Object. Made of wood. Measures one foot by eleven inches, and is probably about a hundred and fifty years old. Would probably have been referred to as treen in its day  - That is - made  of wood - or   tree en.      Clue - would probably have been supplied as a set of four when new. 

Going to leave this for a day or so now - so that everyone can have a guess (probably a soppy one- mine would have been, only I've seen them before, and happen to know what they are - tee hee !!!)  No guesses allowed by my senior  daughter, as she's having lunch with us today, and I've shown her the item and told her what it is.

9 comments:

Crowbard said...

It's a gate for a large hamster or a miniature pony!,,,
Or just possibly a piece of a yarn winder???
Perhaps not a ladder for firemen who suffer from vertigo!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carl. No, No, and No (in that order.)

Rough said...

I don't think I should be allowed to guess either as I have seen plenty of these in the northern climes that I inhabit. I have a few in my barn, but circular in shape and probably made from entwined saplings :)

Mike said...

Dear Rough, I've never seen one as you describe it (circular, and made of sapling, but it would obviously work). Thanks - I've learned something.

Maggie said...

For drying herbs?

Mike said...

Good Try, Maggie ----But No.

Crowbard said...

It's a Mike's U.F.O..... a "You Find Out" (eventually).

Anonymous said...

Hello Carl (et. al). All will now be revealed. The object under discussion is (I'm told) a snow shoe for a horse. The North of Sweden has one real industry - timber growing. They have a breed of Horses to do most of the work (i.e. dragging felled trees through the forests). These horses look, in colour and shape, rather like three quarter sized Suffolk punches, and are very good at hauling felled tree trunks through the forests. As the forests are (for a good deal of the year) deep in snow, the draught horses wear these snow shoes of necessity. Any further questions on the matter may be addressed to daughter Ruth, who lives out there all among the forests, reindeer, bear, Sami, etc.

Rough said...

There are sadly very few of these northern horses left, like the Suffolk punch they are now a rare breed, but there are a few that are still being used in the forests nearby.