Wednesday 18 December 2019

Wednesday.





Dear Crowbard, I think a study of these three pictures will answer your questions. The top one shows the  true suspension chain which, I think would defeat the dark designs of any cutpurse. Inside the case  is a tiny 'strike- a -light', a flintlock (or rather a snaphaunce lock) tinder lighter. The larger button on the front of the box acts as a trigger, and  the device  still strikes a spark. It is a lovely piece of lightly decorated metalware. It is Japanese. The dating of these items is a bit guesswork, but I would think this one dates from the eighteenth century.

3 comments:

Crowbard said...

What a delight Mike, such a competent and restrained mechanism on such a boldly confident keeper and bedecked with such an eye-catching armoured pochette! If I were still acquisitive I'd even pay your price for so fine a piece! Assuming you might ever wish to sell?... But then I'd have to make some more charcoal... there's a down-side to everything!
Post Scriptum:- Jude and I wish all you and yours the very Merriest of Christmases.

Rough said...

God jul och gott nytt år from the Swedes xxx

Crowbard said...

God bless all you lovely Swedes! Merry Christmas One and All!