Thursday 28 January 2016

Thursday.


This really is the last rose of summer (last summer that is).  Been watching it as a tiny bud since a week or so before Christmas. Realised this morning that it is now in full flower. The garden has snowdrops in profusion, a few daffs, four different colours of hellebore (Christmas Rose) one or two crocii, a quince bush(japonica) full of white flowers, and one last rose illustrated above. Our small garden is now giving us flowers the  year round!

P.s. Roses in flower through from April to January.

2 comments:

Z said...

I had a rose in flower last January, though not as late as this - I picked it, because frost was forecast and took a picture (or I'd have forgotten). I noticed on my way home this afternoon that the sunshine had brought out the first daffodil on the drive - it's been in bud a while.

Crowbard said...

I blame Shakespeare for giving the climate ideas beyond our expectations!

Titania in Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream....
“...Hoary-headed frosts
Fall in the fresh lap of the crimson rose” (or yellow rose in your case)