Wednesday 27 May 2015

Wednesday.


All four photographs are of this week's  MYSTERY OBJECT. It is very small - two and a quarter inches long (2.25"),  but was  made for a quite specific purpose.




Where and when made please? Material of which it was made ?  And the specific purpose for which it was made?

                                       _________________________________________

P.s. Cheating slightly in that I've not yet shown the underside of the object - it is signed and dated.

                                                            Good night every one.
                                                        ________________________

7 comments:

Rog said...

It's for keeping one's musket balls in.
Material is briar wood.
Made in the Southern end of France in 1764.

(Dept of wild guesses)

Unknown said...

Hello Rog. Well...........date wise........ you're fairly near.

Crowbard said...

Think I'll guess at a bit later than Rog and try Napoleonic POW work, 1793-1815. Treen salt-cellar hand-cut from ash timber.

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard, you are a little nearer than Rog in date. You are neither very near in the wood (it is I think made from a small silver birch burr, which should give you a further clue). When I first saw one of these, the size made me think it was a child's bowl or toy. I was wrong. Try again.

Crowbard said...

Sounds like one for Paul Cully - Canada is a good place for birch - but then so is Scotland, how about I try a porringer, 'cause I've never seen a wooden quaihc?

Unknown said...

For the definitive answer see the blog entry for Saturday (1) May 30.

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard. I've seen wooden quaiches.They are not common. Most of the ones I have seen were coopered. I should have noticed the similarities between these little drinking bowls and Scottish quaiches.