Monday 31 March 2014

Monday.

 Typical Suffolk village street scene.  The four pictures shown today were taken within a few miles of here a few days ago.



Today we had lunch with Hilary, as also did John, Gloria, and Jane. Very pleasant lunch. Hilary was aware that we would have to leave early, so excused us just before two, as we had to motor over to Saint Leonard's Hospital in Sudbury to pick up (and be instructed in the use of) my new and more powerful hearing aids at two thirty.  Then walked from the hospital to meet Ann at  (fairly) nearby Waitrose shop. Found meself stopping under a tree to listen to a blackbird singing....................................................

5 comments:

Liz said...

Sounds like the new hearing aids are successful. Is it a long time since you last heard a blackbird? I love to hear the birds although I doubt I could identify whom was tweeting.

I watched a blackbird in my garden the other day, merrily flinging moss about as he searched for some insects to scoff. I like to see and hear the birds in my garden, although I am less keen on the fat chubber pigeons bouncing up and down on the television ariel.

Unknown said...

Hello Liz. It's a few years since I've been able to hear birdsong, unless the bird chooses to sing within a very few yards of my (comparatively) good ear. The new hearing aid in my 'bad ear' works on the principal that as I can only hear the very low notes (all the higher ranges having gone) it transforms the high notes into very low ones which I can hear. It seems to be working to some extent, although I was warned that it will take a while to get used to...... oh well, every little helps.

Crowbard said...

It is intriguing to imagine the blackbird's trilling treble transposed to a basso-profondo on choralbass and diapason stops! An ear-shaking experience?

Unknown said...

Good morning Crowbard. Difficult to describe - not basso profundo - it was rather harsh, but recognisable.

Crowbard said...

The brain is a marvelous system, Mike. Give it time to acclimatize and accommodate novel experiences and it will!