Saturday 15 June 2013

Saturday.


Early this morning I encountered Ann on the landing and said to her "have you had a look at that 'Allo Vera plant lately"
"Yes", says Ann.,  "I watered it yesterday, and thought how good it was looking".
"I'm not sure that 'good' is the adjective I'd use. You'd better come and have a look at it".
The point of the story is that, as you can see, this dissolute old plant shares a window sill with a pottery young lady, and  has taken to tickling her under the chin in a most familiar manner that almost amounts to chucking her under the chin.  Such debauchery! Don't know what modern house-plants are coming to!


A bit later in the morning (just after nine) we motored over to our favourite farm shop and joined three of our friends for one of the excellent breakfasts that are provided there (if you want confirmation of the excellence of the breakfasts please check with fellow bloggers Sir Bruin and Lady Liz  Arcturus). The photo shows (left to right) John, Gloria, Hilary, Ann, and meself.

     This afternoon to scrabble club. Played three games, four handed, opposite Hilary. Won the first game, mainly by getting a seven letter word.   This evening Ann has gone out to a concert held in St. Mary's in aid of the Life Boat Institute.  I've stayed at home, partly because I've had a fairly full day, and partly because I really have difficulty hearing music these days. Tend to go to them only  if I know the music fairly well, because then, soppy as it sounds, I can usually hear them.  I tested this once by listening to a C.D. of one of the G.& S. works with the score open in front of me, and could 'hear' every word quite clearly.

     Going to do a little engraving  in the workshop now.
          So -  Goodnight All.

8 comments:

Z said...

As long as the young lady is Vera in person, I'm sure he's just being friendly.

Unknown said...

Thank you Z. That is reassuring.

Sir Bruin said...

In the interest of decency, I will refrain from plant related puns. Having said that, the plant does appear to be very frond of the young lady. I can, indeed, attest to the excellence of the farm shop breakfast.

Unknown said...

I bough to your restraint re plant puns, Sir B. And as to the 'Allo Vera and the young lady, at least it was her chin.

Lori Skoog said...

Mike and Ann....I owe you a big catch up! So many things to comment on...the flowers, more spectacular pieces of architecture, your busy social life and more. Please take care of your heart, would you? Thanks for visiting...I wish you two could join us for dinner.

Unknown said...

So do we Lori. Don't think I'd get travel insurance for long haul flights these days though. So - if Mahomed won't come to the mountain.................

Rog said...

I think you have to say "'allo Vera" in a lascivious Lesllie Phillips voice.

Unknown said...

See your point Rog. Just been trying to do a Leslie Phillips voice. Not awfully convincing, though.