Tuesday 5 July 2011

Tuesday.

Yesterday (and to a lesser extent today) the sky has had lots of high whispy cloud. Mares' tails they were called when I was a boy, and I was told that they heralded a change in the weather. Given our very changeable English weather, I should think that could be said (with a fair chance of being accurate) of any cloud formation.

Went for a walk along the Railway Walk, our old railway branch line - pre Dr. Beeching, yesterday evening, and took the above snapshot of this row of five almshouses. Or, more probably, four almshouses, and a warden's cottage at this end. I was told by one of our amateur architectural historians that she has recently proved these almshouses to have been built in the year 1550, whichwould mean during the short reign of Edward VI, I think. They are owned by our town council and let to single people in need of accomodation, which I should think is fairly near their original purpose.
Been pottering in the workshop most of today as we shall be attending the Long Melford Antique Fair tomorrow. This will mean an early start and (hopefully) a busy day tomorrow, so I'll bid you all a very Good Night now.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ann's just told me that it's now raining quite hard, so it looks as if the clouds got it right.

Pat said...

We have had torrential rain in the last 24 hours after quite a lot of sunshine.