Friday 4 March 2011

Friday

I enjoy my work - dealing in, and occasionally restoring, mechanical antiques. Mainly clocks and guns, but sometimes other things. If you study the above photo I'm sure most of you will say:- "Ah, a fairly bog standard chamber candlestick, English, and of the early 19th century". A few of the more erudite of my readers will probably add:- "And how very nice to see one complete with its ejector, its snuffer and its wick trimmers". And, of course you will all be correct; and at this point I must congratulate myself on having such a knowledgeable and perceptive bunch of readers. I couldn't have described the thing better meself. The above chamber candlestick is one I sold some time ago to an American couple (fellow dealers), and recently I was asked if I could repair a similar (but lesser) complete chamberstick. As I had an hour or so to spare this afternoon, I started on it. One of the many minor problems to be put right on it is that the projecting brass hook on the snuffer was broken with the spike part missing, but with enough left for me to make an exact (but complete) copy. I removed what was left of the original hook, then sorted out a piece of scrap brass of the right age and colour ( I hoard spare metal for replacement purposes). I then made the replacement hook to the correct size, and filed up the hole on the snuffer to give a close fit. I was well pleased with the work. I then took the two parts out to my forge, and lead soldered them together. I heated the work on the outside, then applied the lead solder to the inside of the snuffer, so that no lead showed on the outside. Again the work went well, and I was well pleased with my invisible mend, until I took the snuffer back inside and attempted to attach the snuffer to the candlestick, when I was quite surprised to find that I'd soldered the hook on upside down (curses, curses !!!!!).

Well, it took a couple of minutes to reapply heat to remove the hook, and a few minutes more to clean the work and solder the hook back in its correct position. It was still an 'invisible mend', so not a bad afternoon's work, but lessons to be learned - don't get overconfident, and keep your wits about you at all times, etc., etc. The last time I made a booboo anything like that was thirty years ago or so. It was on a clock, and I've not repeated that one I'm glad to report. Still - constant vigilance Michael. Being called upstairs to supper. Must tell Ann about it - or perhaps not- she might want me to retire again - she does sometimes.
Anyhow, Goodnight All.

P.s. In my view antique dealers should not retire, but, as they age, should become steadily more in keeping with their stock.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Crowbard said...

You have not yet crossed the line Mike, from being a dealer of antiques (noun)to being an antique (adjective)dealer.
Admitting to one minor error per century (one way back in the C.20th. and another well into the C.21.st) can hardly be anything but the highest commendation of your craft-skills!

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard. MmmmYes. That's a very charitable and reassuring way of looking at it........ I suppose. Thanks anyway.
Warm regards, Mike.
P.s. our love to Judy.

Nea said...

Was the clock mistake the time you thought you were wrong, but it turned out you weren't, you were right?

Unknown said...

No, the full story is that Liz (I think it was) had lost a bet with me, and said "You're never wrong, are you?" To which I'm supposed to have replied "Well I was once. I thought I'd made a mistake, but I was wrong then."

The horological error occurred (and even now I blush to tell this) when I'd spent half an hour splicing a new clock rope to a thirty hour long case clock, then found out that I'd not put the annular lead counter weight on, so I had to cut the splice, thread on the counter weight, then resplice the rope. One should never make the same mistake twice, and I've never done it again. Which reminds me of your Great Grandfather Clayton's saying. He was a Lincolnshire Farmer, and he used to say "If a man cheats me that proves he's a knave. If he cheats me twice that proves I'm a fool".

Much love, Pa.