Tuesday 8 January 2019

Tuesday.

Odd incident this afternoon.  Talking to youngest grand-daughter, who's staying with us - lives in Sweden in the ordinary way, and will be 19 in March.  She is a great fan of the  Italian singer Pavarotti, who she considers was the best singer ever!  I was telling her about my  grandfather, who sang base (could sing basso profundo- very deep voice) and she was quite interested. I had several of  his old 78 records, but gave them to  Sarah a few years ago, so had nothing to let her listen to, but was telling her about the late Peter Dawson (an Australian singer), who was my Grandfather Horner's favourite. At this point Ruth  wandered off, and we carried on talking about base singers. After a bit  Ruth  came back with  her ........ well, it's a small computer..... and said "Which  of  Peter Dawson's songs did Great Grandpa Horner prefer?"  I said "Both his  and my favourite was 'Rocked in  the Cradle of the Deep",   
"That's lucky" said Ruth"because I've got a record of him singing that here."   She switched her 'Smart Phone' on, and played it, and it was better even than I  remembered it as being.  I looked at Swedish grand daughter, and said "What about that, then?"  She is a  sportsman,  and said "Pa, I think I've changed my opinion".

In fairness to daughter and grand daughter, so  have  I.  About modern electronic gadgetry, which is incredible.

6 comments:

Crowbard said...

Try:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeXElt6jqDE

Peter Dawson singing "The Floral Dance"

or:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HJIznd65BA

The Bold Gendarmes - Josef Locke

Mike said...

Hello Crowbard. Could sing you both of those from memory. Lovely stuff.

Maggie said...

Pavarotti is one of my very favourite singers, little Graham absolutely adored him and refused to listen to any other tenors, and we tried him with most of them!
I have belatedly just discovered the baritone Dmitri Hvorostovsky (he died last year of a brain tumor), he has the most incredible voice, really reaches down into the soul.
I was always of the opinion I couldn't sing as my voice is so deep it sounds like a tuber! Not very lady like.....

Mike said...

Maggie. I'm sorry to hear that your voice sounds like root vegetable; or did you mean a TUBA ???

Sorry.

Crowbard said...

Hi Maggles, The thing with voices is to accept and practice with the one you've got and damn anybody else's jealous comments. Horner voices run deep, join in and enjoy your special talent. You're a lady, therefore however deep your voice, it is a lady's voice. Granted, it is exceptional for ladies to sing basso profundo, but had you not noticed that it is the singers with unusual vocal talents who get to be "Stars".

Mike said...

Hi Mags. I agree with brother Crowbard's remarks regarding voices, and again apologise for my joke re spelling of tuber/tuba. Can't resist silly jokes, I suppose. It's always good to hear from you.