Thursday 10 January 2019

Thursday 2.











Ruth has been working very hard and has made me a nice, clear, list of things to do when I wish to put a picture on my blog. I've just followed said list and produced a picture of the small lantern timepiece alarm I've been working on (on and off) for the last few weeks. To give you an idea of its size, it is four inches across the dial, and five and a half inches from the base of the dial to the top of the arch. I've not called it a clock, as there is no 'hour strike' - just a going train and an alarm train. I think I've done rather more than half the necessary work . I will try and take an 'after' picture when all's done. The movement is of verge type escapement working on a short (behind the clock) bob pendulum. It was made by a London maker John Pyke, who is recorded as working circa  1730 to 1745. The clock  is rather a little charmer.




Goodnight all.

2 comments:

Rough said...

So to call it rather striking would be wrong?

Mike said...

Technically - yes.
Alarming - _ Possibly.