Thursday 3 January 2019

Thursday.



I mentioned  yesterday that I'd bought a pewter flagon at the Long Melford monthly antique fair. Here is a photograph of the flagon. It appears to be of late 18th / early 19th century date and of Anglo / Dutch make. It has a maker's mark under the base,  a rose and crown with initials A.  G.   It is a fairly hefty vessel, standing eleven inches from the base to the top of the thumbpiece. An attractive piece (if you happen to like pewter, as I do. I'm very lucky in that Ann does, too, although I think it is rather a blokes' metal).  Ah well - some research to be done on it, I think.

I perhaps should add that pewter (like a good many antiques) has gone down  in price over the last few years, and that, after a good haggle (I know the vendor) it changed hands  at a price of £30.  Twenty years ago there'd have been a nought on the end of that. Still, I think it's probably a good investment, and we both like it.

Must knock off now and do some work. Regards to all,   Mike.


No comments: