Wednesday, 3 May 2017


                             Mystery Object.

The  above object (in the  antique trade, anyway) is known  by a certain name.  Can you     give me that  name, and  when and where the object was made ?


Been a busy day. Drove over to  Long  Melford this  morning and went to the monthly  antique fair (as customers this time). Successful  visit.  Motored home via Stowmarket (where I had to collect a blunderbuss) and also via a downpour (much needed). When home had a nap (also much needed) and have been pottering around the workshop since.

Ready for a more solid and elongated nap now - so Goodnight All.



Rog said...

It's a candle stand but I suspect you require a more esoteric answer.
You could go to the local rail station and offer a replacement blunderbuss service.

Crowbard said...

Now while in the photo it is employed as a vertically adjustable candle-stick stand to enable the light to be readjusted as the candle burns down, I wonder, dear Bruv, if you haven't juxtaposed these two items in order to misdirect the viewer into leaping to the obvious conclusion.
Suppose perhaps a midget and a giantess were married ~ perhaps this would serve as a crumpet-stand to accommodate the variation in their altitudes?

Mike said...

Hello Rog and Crowbard. You are both of you right, but neither answers the question. The wooden stand is usually known (in the trade) as a lacemaker's candle stand. The turned wooden grub-screw to the right of the stand column in the lower picture gives the stand another three or four inches of height if required. Anyone who's read by candle light knows that adjustment of the position of the candle flame is very necessary when reading small print. The candle stick itself is of brass, and is mid eighteenth century in date. The stand is of late eighteenth century date. Both are of English manufacture. The brass stick itself is fitted with a 'side ejector' for ejecting the candle stub, but this device is also useful for adjusting the height of the candle flame. So although they are known as 'lacemaker's candle stands', anyone who wants to read small print by candle light would also find this is a very useful device, and I do wonder if the lacemaker's name is a bit of dealer's romanticism?