Wednesday 7 August 2013

Wednesday.


The above painted inscription on top of the box reads (as near as I can make out)  "Kind friend (s?) be free and smoak with me" - so that the box is a small pocket box for pipe tobacco. If the inscription were not there many people would assume that the box is a snuff box, and  would reason that it is too small to be a tobacco box. The answer I usually give to this line of reasoning is that if you examine eighteenth century clay pipes they have very small bowls, so that a lesser quantity of tobacco would be needed per smoke (or 'smoak') than is usual today, and I think this box gives the definitive answer to this.

P.s. This type of toleware was made in Pontypool, and at one time was usually referred to as Pontypool ware.

3 comments:

Z said...

I knew it wasn't a snuff box, never thought of tobacco - d'oh!

Unknown said...

You confirm my point for me Zoe. The box looks the wrong size for a tobacco box.

Sir Bruin said...

Me too. I dismissed tobacco for the reasons already mentioned. Just goes to prove that one should always go with first instincts.