Sunday 17 June 2018

Sunday.



Above shows one corner of our withdrawing room, plus its newish occupant. We have not  had a television set for the last twenty five years or so. By the way - the very worst conversation stopper is when someone says  "Did you see such and such on T.V?" and you have to explain  that you  haven't  had  a T.V. for the last umpty five years.  Any way when I was rather poorly just before Christmas, Ann 'phoned the local electrical machine vendor and ordered one.  It's a sort of  psuedo- company  of an evening, and some programmes are very watchable. Having  found the right  place for it, and common honesty  compells me to confess that Sue (Ann's lady who helps about the house) found the right place.  I put it in front of the fire place, and Sue said (the next time she came in)  "Mike, you  can't put that television set right  in front of that lovely great fireplace,   and I asked her where it should go? 
"Leave it with me  and come back in ten minutes" says Sue - so I  did.  She'd moved an old oak chest from in front of one of the windows, where it didn't show, into a corner, with the telly  on top  of  it.
The chest looks better there than it has done since we moved here (about ten or twelve years ago), and the telly  looks well  on  top  of the chest, in its corner.


Got  to go out to morning service in a min.  Reading second lesson. More when  I  get back.

Half past twelve. Back now. Found  above glass water (or wine) jug in local antique/junk/second hand shop. The  jug is rather an old  beauty . Pre Victorian, probably Regency (got  a 'ground out' pontil), and holds a good couple of pints, or so. Hand made, and doesn't drip.  Never know what's going to be in the shop, but always well worth a look and a potter round..

2 comments:

Sir Bruin said...

There is the occasional gem amongst the awful old tosh that makes up the bulk of tv prpgrammes. I apologise for being such a crap friend I didn't realise that you had been under the weather. Trust that you are getting back to your usual suave and debonair self?

Mike said...

Hello Sir Bruin and Lady. Good to hear from you. Never know how deep to go into health matters on blog. I think, anyway, that medicos make up new names for problems they're not too sure about. I think a lot of things could probably be designated under the general heading of Anno Domini, but the doctors have to call it (as they have done in my case) dementia and frailty, which I consider a load of tosh!

P.s. Ann joins me in saying that if and when you come Highdale way, it would be lovely to see you.