Tuesday 22 November 2011

Tuesday.


Another photo of the inside of Copford Church, this time showing the very Byzantine lower half of the church, and above it the 'new' roof that was put up sometime in the 14th/15th century. Bit patched together but a very interesting building.

You'll have probably gathered that I'm still having problems with illustrating my blog, Picasa having now shut down altogether. I'm told that there's also some difficulty commenting on my blog these days (?) probably from the same source. I'll continue to try though.

Went to lip reading class this morning. Our teacher Jill discussed Robin Hood (as an exercise in lip reading) then tried to link him with the Green Man (Jack in the green), which I found an interesting idea, although the Green Man is, of course a much earlier legend than Robin Hood. It's amazing how many English churches, and indeed Cathedrals have depictions of the Green Man in them.  Been doing odd jobs in the workshop since then. Work has been going well.  Bedtime now I think - early start in the morning.  Goodnight.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Copy of a comment from Crowbard :-

Hi Mike,
The following comment was rejected from your latest blog. Can you leave a comment on your blog?
Feel free to copy and paste this into your comment if you so wish.

I seem to recall the 'Hob-in-the-Hood' was a legendary figure associated with the Green-Man, but I may be conflating him with Hobbehood, a C.13th outlaw of Yorkshire. The Jack in the Green has also become identified with the Green Man depicted in mediaeval church carvings and is widely felt to be an embodiment of natural fertility, a spirit of the primeval greenwood and a trickster; by extension Jack in the Green is linked to such mythological characters as Puck, Robin Goodfellow, Robin Hood, the wild man, and the Green Knight, among others.

Strawberry said...

Hi papa!
can't wait until i get to see you and granny at christmas

Pat said...

Almost every comment I make now doesn't work first time so I try to remember to copy and paste each time. Very trying - like today - when I'm trying to visit my side bar and it takes twice as long.