Monday 28 November 2011

Monday.

Yesterday we hit the road at 9a.m. and drove to London. Stopped  at Braintree for petrol, etc., and got to daughter Liz's at 11.30 a.m. - good easy run. Picked up grandson Matt and we took tube to South Kensington, and a taxi to Bonham's at Knightbridge. Spent the next couple of hours viewing their forthcoming Arms and Armour auction. Adjourned to nearby coffee house, bagged the last vacant table, ordered coffee, then discussed what we'd seen, what I wanted to buy, and what I could afford to pay for it. Met Paul, an Arms dealer from the West country who I  hadn't seen for some years. Pleasantly surprised to see each other. We are of much the same vintage and Paul was a little surprised that I've not retired. I made my stock answer to this one and told him that antique dealers don't retire, we just become steadily more in keeping with our stock. He thought about this, then agreed. When Matt and I returned to Bonham's we found they were due to close in five minutes, so we hadn't time to leave bids. We then walked back to South Kensington Tube station and returned to Chiswick. Liz had asked me to move her grandfather clock,and I'd bought the necessary tools with me so Matt and I did the job, he doing most of the donkey work at my direction. I then set the clock up, screwed it to the wall, put it in beat, and set it going. Then downstairs and had supper with Liz, Georgia, Beth and Matt; Ann having bought supper with us.  We hit the road at 7.15p.m. and were home by 9.15p.m. (good journey, we didn't exceed the speed limit once, but made very good time).
 'Phoned Bonhams this morning and left eight bids on (all,  bar one, were fairly optimistic bids from my point of view - one was realistic). We'll see how the sale goes on Wednesday.
  Spent the rest of today pottering in the workshop. Pleasantly tired from yesterday but didn't feel the need for a zizz this afternoon - well didn't succumb to it anyway. Going to have to now, though.  Goodnight all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you explored the following when trying to upload photos?

http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?answer=41641

See you tomorrow.

Wendy