Monday 12 September 2011

Monday.

Still a few splashes of colour in the garden. Above is an evening primrose, with Michaelmas daisies and primulae in the background.



Pale wild violet, which really shouldn't be in bloom in mid September.




This is a tall (about three foot) crimson flowered plant, which I'm told is a lobelia. I think I'm having my leg pulled. This flower is a red that almost hurts the eyes. We'd have called it a psychodelic colour in the sixties and seventies; whereas all the lobelia flowers with which I've ever been aquainted are a varying shade of blue, and are now dying off. Can anyone tell me please, is this really a form of lobelia ?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Just had an email from friend Sue telling me that the red flowered plant is indeed a lobelia - lobelia Cardinalis Queen Victoria - name suits it rather well.
Thanks Sue.

Rog said...

I'm now singing "Lobelia" to the tune of "Delia".

Christopher said...

...and just as I was going to recommend going to see Dr Lobel about your leg...