Saturday 20 April 2019

Saturday.



Again, I'll have to ask you to 'embiggen' this picture to make much sense of it. It is a snapshot of the top of my bureaux (desk, if I've misspelled that).  We've never consciously  'collected' horn bits, but in view of our surname if we've had nice bits of horn in stock we've been tempted to keep them. The ones shown here are engraved, some are silver mounted, others have rather naively engraved country scenes around them - hunting, coaching, etc.    Some years ago now a very senior antiques dealer showed me a horn cup turned in the fashion of a wine glass, and told me that in his experience it was quite unique - so I showed him our two. Looking back - he took it in quite good part. The one on the right hand end is a cream jug made from a single piece of horn (including the handle), but having a turned wood base. I think I'll try and get close up photos of some of them, for future blog entries.

2 comments:

Crowbard said...

Bureau, in America means a straightforward chest of drawers, in England it means a chest of drawers topped off with a writing slope. In America the plural is bureaus, but in England we have usually retained their Norman-French origin, bureaux.

Rough said...

What beautiful roses!they look very well together with the horn.