Wednesday 13 July 2011

Wednesday.






This morning we'd been invited to look round a five acre area, three or four miles from us, adjoining the river Brett, which has been allowed (encouraged even) to revert to marshland. Tracks have been cut through the undergrowth to make walking possible. I think the tracks have been quite cleverly designed so that the area seems much bigger than five acres. It reminded us very much of the Bedford Level area of the Norfolk Fens near the village of Welney where we grew up. Spent a very pleasant hour or so, wallowing in nostalgia. Mark you, one false step, and in some places we'd have been wallowing in mud, stagnant water, and duck weed.
The above photoes will give you some idea.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Four Dinners said...

You can't beat a bit of mud wallowing....well...if you're a hippo anyroad..;-)

At least one of my ponds isn't a building site...much to the relief of my fish and a couple of resident frogs smart enough to avoid The Stealth Bomber on his nocturnal hunts!

Barnsley Sime said the same thing about my comments...I'll go check I haven't set them wrongly

...Jacqui is in the depths of a Madagascan jungle with some mad Professor from the U.N. for 6 weeks on her Geography Uni degree course so I'm technologically bereft at the mo...I'll have a look.

Cheers old bean and love to you and yours!

4D

Four Dinners said...

ahhhh! Comments thingy sorted now....er...I think...;-)

Crowbard said...

Beautifully boscy, but did you remember to take the quinine along?
These 'ain't nature wonderful?' Johnies don't seem to remember the trouble we had getting rid of the plague and malaria and such like.

Dust yourselves down with D.D.T. I'm sure you'll probably be OK!

Thinking about it, Ann could hunt down the mozzies and tse-tse flies with that pretty little russeted Purdey of hers.

Rog said...

It looks very verdant and lush at a time our end of East Anglia is parched and yellow