Tuesday 28 December 2010

Tuesday.


Been a good busy day today. Our daughter Kerry (above left) drove over from Cambridgeshire with her son Tom, and our youngest daughter Liz (right) drove from London with her daughters Georgia and Beth and her son Matthew. They both arrived at about eleven this morning. We had a very good lunch of leftover cold meats, roast vegetables, boiled potatoes, and pickles. For pudding we had a year old Christmas pudding made by our good friend Neville Poole (whose death I recorded on my blog of 3rd December). His Christmas puddings were THE BEST and we always kept them for a year before eating. This year we (as usual) poured brandy over the pudding, lit it, and when the flames died down ate the pudding with cream; but this year as the pudding flamed we drunk a toast to Neville's memory before eating it. I think the girls had planned to stay a little longer, but at about 3.30 p.m. Liz noticed that the afternoon was becoming foggy, so they both set out for home whilst a little daylight was left. Didn't really want to break up the party, but I think they were wise to go when they did. Nearly seven now, so I've nicely time to do a little tidying and work in the workshop before bed. Will wish you all a goodnight now.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Z said...

The Sage has been to Yarmouth and Norwich this evening, reported that the weather was drizzly, but no fog.

I used to make three Christmas puddings at a time and we ate one that year, one the next and the last one was two and a bit years old when eaten. But I haven't bothered recently. The remains were still in the fridge at Easter. One of those traditions that is probably destined to vanish, at least in our family.

Goodnight

Unknown said...

Neville made 30 Christmas puddings per annum (according to his daughters)- boiled in his copper (same source of information). I think I'll check those figures with brother-in-law Tim. When he first gave us one - some years ago now- Ann had made one already so we ate ours, and put Neville's away for a year (which appeared to improve it), so that we were always a year in arrear and always had a year old pudding at Christmas. One other odd fact - and I can vouch for this - is that I have never been able to persuade my Swedish son-in-law to like Christmas puddings - odd creatures these foreigners !!! (sorry Lars - only joking).

Unknown said...

Neville made 30 Christmas puddings per annum (according to his daughters)- boiled in his copper (same source of information). I think I'll check those figures with brother-in-law Tim. When he first gave us one - some years ago now- Ann had made one already so we ate ours, and put Neville's away for a year (which appeared to improve it), so that we were always a year in arrear and always had a year old pudding at Christmas. One other odd fact - and I can vouch for this - is that I have never been able to persuade my Swedish son-in-law to like Christmas puddings - odd creatures these foreigners !!! (sorry Lars - only joking).

Unknown said...

Re previous comment, I have checked with Tim, and in fact Neville made 36(!!!!!) Christmas puddings per year, and until the last few years boiled them in his copper. Of late though he'd been cooking them in the kitchen.