Tuesday 21 December 2010

Tuesday.



Saw this tempting advert on a flower stall beside a back lane near Bury St. Edmund's a few weeks ago, and we agreed that Handy Cycle men at £1.25 a pot were something of bargain, so bought Ann a couple of pots, one of which is still in flower. If we go that way we always keep an eye out for this stall, as the stallholder's ideas on floral nomenclature (?) are always refreshing, but I think this is the best she's come up with yet. She's completely unselfconscious about her spelling of flower names, and makes some brave efforts. She also keeps goats, and as we used to breed them, it's always nice to have a natter about them. The lady keeps a billy goat that she says is of the 'Old English' breed, but I think there's a strong strain of Aurox in him. He's massive! Don't know how she controls him. I'll try and get a photo of him next time I meet him, and if he's in a good mood. Weather's been thawing slowly today, but the meteorologists say there's more snow on the way. Hope they're wrong- they sometimes are, but have to admit they've got the last two lots of snow dead right.
Bed time approaching, as we've an early start a.m., so - Goodnight All.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My apologies. I found meself thinking that I'd printed that photo before, so I checked and I had -on 13th October. So much for my "a few weeks ago". It's two and a half months. Just shows how time flies, I suppose.
Also haven't been out to take photoes for a day or so, so I was looking back at old ones to use. Will check more carefully in future.

Crowbard said...

The days of handy cycle men are past Mike. Where have all the Bob Godfreys gone? And who was that handy cobbler who had the shop opposite his cycle repair shack?
Do you recall the 'idiot savant' who hung around there and could tell you little but the day of the week on any given date past or future?
Pootatu is really getting into the festive spirit, v-word is 'frolik'

Unknown said...

Percy Wayling, although the cobbler's shop (although as you say on the opposite side of the road to Bob Godfrey's cycle repair shop, was about half a mile south of it. Almost opposite the cobbler's was Jack Stittles the Sadler's shop. He was a nice old man with a dry, blackish, sense of humour; a pure, Norfolk Fenlander. And I do remember the memory man you mention. It's the second time he's come up recently. Roy and I were talking about him and Roy's wife Janet (being an Upwell girl) told me his name, but, of course, I've forgotten it again.