Thursday 9 December 2010

Thursday 2.



Today was the first sunny day we've had for a fortnight, see above. Wind's in the north though and still very cold. Still, bright sunlight always makes me feel cheerful. On Tuesday went to London and viewed Sotheby's Arms and Armour sale (should say:- Thomas Delmar Ltd. in association with Sotheby's sale, these days). Grandson Matthew came with me, and we agreed that it was a very disappointing sale. Thomas (Delmar) told me that they're expecting their second babe later this month. Congratulated him. Their daughter's a little charmer. Spent night at Lizzie's - she'd left a fish pie in the fridge together with cooking instructions, which I complied with, assisted by Matthew, who's a good hand in the kitchen. I'd bought a bottle of wine and a sort of chocolate pudding from the local shops in Chiswick High Street, so was able to serve up a decent meal when they all returned from school/work.
Yesterday got back to the auction by noon, and got some bids in on the few pieces I wanted (nothing I really wanted to take home and play with) but, like most poorly stocked sales, the few good pieces went sky high and I purchased nothing. The journey home (by rail) was nightmarish. I won't bore you with details. Suffice to say that I arrived at Liverpool Street Station just before 5 p.m.,for what should have been a fifty minute journey to Mannigtree Station, and eventually got home a little after nine o'clock, feeling thoroughly frazzled. Oh well; I very rarely use the railway, and shall keep such usage as rare as I can for the foreseeable. Today's been a pottering sort of day. Put two loads of washing through the machine, tidied the kitchen (which needed it) and finished off the gearing for a model stern wheeled river steamer that Grandson Guy and I have been been making (on and off) for a couple of months or so, utilising my old Mechano Set, and an old stationary steam engine, which I'd given him.

Bedtime looms, so - Goodnight all.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

I thought you were having some serious snow over there! That green grass looks very inviting to me...

Unknown said...

Hi Lori. Our eight inches or so of snow mostly melted away last Saturday, and as far as I'm concerned, that's our share for the winter, I hope. It's still fairly cold here (but bright).
Warm regards to you both, though.
Mike.

Nea said...

Is that what the green stuff in the background is?

I thought perhaps your snow had gone mouldy :)

Crowbard said...

I do so admire your industry, as exemplified in your penultimate line:- 'Bed-time looms!'
How clever to practice your hobby of weaving whilst you sleep - even experienced weavers require good light for weaving but you manage it with your eyes-closed! I'm surprised the noise of the shuttles doesn't keep you awake!
Pootatu says 'dibler' - one who dibbles and dabbles in all sorts of unexpected occupations.