Friday, 25 April 2014

Friday.


On Wednesday this week, 23rd April (Saint George's Saint   Day) We were driving through Sudbury, when I saw a large red rambler rose in full bloom on a wall.  As we were in the car, I hadn't time to get the camera out. This morning I was walking into town and took the above photo of a large white rambler in full bloom. It seems very early to have roses in flower, and I said as much to friend Hilary, who told me that she has several roses in full bloom in her garden, which is very sheltered and South facing; but April still seems very early for roses. All sorts of things seem to be blooming early this year, though.

7 comments:

Nea said...

Just spent a few days in the south of Sweden, I didn't see any roses, but there were tulips in full bloom, where as here the crocuses (croci?) have only just come out :)

Mike and Ann said...

Look forward to making the further acquaintance of South Sweden. Either (crocuses or croci) is acceptable these days, I think.

Crowbard said...

or perhaps crocii (pronounced crow-key-eye)if you're speaking of blooms of more than one variety?

Liz said...

I've got roses coming out in my garden too Mike. They, along with all the people I saw wearing shorts in the supermarket on Wednesday, appear to have been confused by our recent mild weather.

Mike and Ann said...

You are right, Crowbard. Don't know haw I managed to miss 'crocii' out, as it's the spelling I normally use.

Mike and Ann said...

Hello Liz, we've only got roses in bud so far, but everything does seems to be weeks in advance of its usual date.

Crowbard said...

I suppose if one were to take a double crocus, a couple of purple crocuses, a white crocus and a few yellow croci to make a posy, it would be acceptable to call it:-
a crocus posy,
a croci posy,
a crocii posy - or even a posy of crocuses! And the same would apply to a nosegay, tussie-mussie, bunch or bouquet.....
and a few flowery words of affection would also make a posy!