Saturday 26 October 2013

Saturday.


Not mystery objects today (although I've got one to show you next time I blog), but the photos illustrate two things I've been working on this week.  Above is illustrated one of the most complete (and original) brass chamber candlesticks I've seen for some time. It's late Georgian, and is complete with its dowser/snuffer), its side ejector (the brass knob in the centre of the picture), and its scissors type snuffer. I've had to do a fair amount of work re- rivetting it (it was fairly shaky overall, but have only had to replace one part of it- the small piece of brass that supports the pair of snuffers, and it was possible to see where that had originally been, and to work out the shape of the original piece from that. Not so complicated as some of the things I work on but satisfying none-the-less.
                                                     _______________________



Above and below illustrations are of a clock movement by John Barrow  Londini Fecit. I've had to do all sorts of little jobs (too numerous to enumerate) to put this one back into decent working order.  The dial is eleven inches square. The clock normally lives in a small oak case, and is a thirty hour long case clock. John Barrow, who made it was apprenticed in 1671 to Francis Ireland, of London; became a member of the Clockmakers' Company in 1681, master of the Clockmakers' Company from  1714  to 1717 (presumed to be the year of his death). I'm glad to report that it's now back on duty, and, I'm told,  keeping excellent time again. What a difference from our present policies of 'planned obsolescence' - making a thing so that it  works only until its guarantee expires, then itself expires soon afterwards, and the customer has to buy a new one. If I allow meself to think about that one I could join Rog as a curmudgeon.


4 comments:

Rog said...

300 odd years?!!!! That REALLY is remarkable - I can't think of any other area of human endeavour where stuff is still in regular use that was made 100 years ago let alone 300. Most things are lucky to pass muster for 5 years.

I'd love to have been a clockie but I'm just far too cack-handed. Rodger the Bodger is my nom de plume.

Unknown said...

Sewing machines perhaps (?) Same skills, though, and I agree with you. Difference between then and now! By the way Rog, Ann joins me in asking that you and your lady must come and have lunch with us before too long, so I can show you my workshop.
Warm regards to you both, Ann and Mike.

Z said...

Go, Rog - the workshop is brilliant! Not to mention Ann and Mike's company, which you already know is such a pleasure.

And what an interesting post, thanks Mike.

Unknown said...

Thank you Z. And I hope you know that you and Russell are welcome to pop in at any time - you don't have to wait for the next funeral here!!!!