Tuesday 19 March 2013

Tuesday.


I'm supposed to be taking things very easy over the next fortnight, but I find this difficult, so this morning I spent  a while getting used to the new camera. We've also moved one of the  bird feeders much nearer the kitchen window, and the above snapshot of a greenfinch to the left, and a pair of goldfinches to the right of the picture is the result.  Been trying to get a shot of the one siskin still frequenting the garden, but he is very shy.

Above is another picture of a pair of goldfinches. Lots of flowers on the quince tree (or japonica) growing up the old garden shed behind the birds. Hope there'll be quinces later in the year. We might make quince jelly.



This afternoon Ann decided we needed to buy vegetables, so motored over to our nearby garden shop. I sat in the coffee shop there and read my paper, whilst Ann bought vegetables, then joined me. Then we motored home, detouring via Kersey, where I took the above photo of the ford. Since then changed into me scruff to do a little work in the workshop.  Bit tiring taking it easy.

9 comments:

Rog said...

Easy does it Mike! Your new camera zoom is getting you closer to the action.
Kearsey is a lovely place to have on your doorstep.

Sir Bruin said...

Nice pictures, sir. Taking it easy may be hard at first, but it does get easier the more you do it. Trust me on this, i'm an expert.

Unknown said...

Hello Rog. Yes, I'm pleased with the new camera.
Hello Sir B. Ref taking it easy, I'll take your word for it, and will work harder at it.

Unknown said...

P.s.- Rog, yes, we're spoiled for choice regarding lovely villages and small towns in South Suffolk.

Z said...

I can spend days at a time taking it easy and agree with Sir B, you just need a bit more practice. That you're getting frustrated shows you're getting your energy back, so it's a good sign of recovery.

Unknown said...

Thank you Z. That's reassuring.

Crowbard said...

The Goldfinch by C J Dennis

When dandelions star the fields
Another alien singer, I,
Nursed upon England's flowery wealds,
Seeking no tithe of treasured yields,
Drop sudden from a summer sky
To where the spangled clearing spills
Its gold about your timbered hills.

A mite in splendid motley clad,
I mark the field, I know the hour
When choicest morsels may be had;
When blooms are gay, when days are glad,
And thistledown wafts in a shower
To dance and drift and disappear,
I, who was not, am with you here.

I cling beside the thistle head,
I dance about your cattle's feet,
I revel in the banquet spread
By many a blazing yellow bed,
And feast until I am replete;
Then seek the house roof's topmost tile
To linger yet a little while.

No ingrate I, no niggard churl
Tho' what I take you well may spare
Ere azure skies have grown to pearl,
With many a grace-note, many a skirl,
I pay gold coin for golden fare,
And profer an abundant fee
In long sweet bursts of melody.

Unknown said...

Thank you Carl. Must confess I didn't know of C.J. Dennis. Have looked him up (Google of course) and see he wrote humorous stuff. Must read some and see.

Unknown said...

P.s. Just read a couple of them. Bit difficult because of the heavy Australian dialect, but well worth the effort.