Saturday 2 March 2013

Saturday 1.


Two more photos that Ruth took on Thursday. The above shows Freja flying high (and this is a child who confesses to some slight fear of heights!!!)


 And this is another of Ruth enjoying the primitive swing in the beech woods near us. Ruth and the girls went into London yesterday and stayed with youngest daughter Liz overnight. We are expecting them back later today. As Ruth's husband Lasse is unwell they took their passports with them just in case they had to make a run for home (Sweden). However Ruth tells me that (once again) the antibiotics seem to be doing their work, and he reports that he is now rather better.  Fingers crossed!!!


We've recently moved one of the bird feeders rather nearer the kitchen window, and this has enabled me to take rather better photos of birds (hence the above two goldfinches). However my camera is playing up rather badly, and I think I shall have to buy a new one. This one has given me seven years of fairly heavy usage.  Ref birds, yesterday I was sitting in my kitchen talking to friend Bill, who had called to consult me about a couple of 'Brown Bess' muskets from his collection, when  three siskins turned up on the bird feeder. I saw my first ever of these birds last year at about this time, and told Bill about them then. He'd never seen one, and this year I was able to show him three of them. What I was not able to do, though, was to make the camera work in time to get a photo of them (curses, curses!).   I explain this in some detail, in that I am afraid that for a short time this blog will probably be existing on oldish photos. Please bear with me. Being called up to an early supper, so will wish you all a slightly premature Good Night.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Please see next blog entry with regard to camera situation.

Crowbard said...

Think we had a female kestrel feeding in our garden yesterday... might have been a large sparrow hawk (but we don't have many large sparrows).
Within 7 metres of the kitchen window perched on a hummock of ivy, feeding on its prey for 10 - 15 minutes - we didn't disturb it and after it left there was nothing recognisable to show what it had eaten, probably a thrush or small pigeon.

Unknown said...

Perhaps likelier to have been a sparrow hawk (?) as, while kestrels do very occasionally take small birds, they far more usually prey on small mammals.

Crowbard said...

I wondered where the cat had got t!