Wednesday 15 August 2012

Wednesday.


Yesterday bought Ann this  bunch of dramatic looking gladioli. Yesterday evening gave a dinner party for two couple of friends. With ourselves that made six - which fits (fairly snugly) round our dining table.


To early service this morning, read the first lesson. When we got home realised our hibiscus is in bloom. It's their third year in the garden and I think they're really starting to flower well (pale pink with a splash of red in the centre).
.

On the way home from town, took the above snap of roses over a neighbour's fence. A week ago I thought these roses had finished for the season, but they've decided to have another flowering.


Does anyone else have a job remembering what year it is ?  After lunch I bottled last year's harvest of the hedgerows - the above illustrated sloe gin. I always label it as 'Sloe Gin' and then the year they were picked. Having written and stuck on all twelve labels I realised I'd labelled it all as 'Sloe Gin, 2010', instead of 2011. Rather than waste all the labels I altered the date -looks a bit untidy, but I don't think it will alter the taste or put anyone off the stuff once it's in their glass!!!!!

9 comments:

Sir Bruin said...

Mmmm..... Sloe gin......

Unknown said...

Dear Sir B.
I quite agree.
It's the best winter warmer there could possibly be.

Rog said...

A Nurse asked my Mum today what day it was as a test. She got it right and I got it wrong.

Must have been the Gin - I've always been a bit Sloe on the uptake....

Anne said...

What beautiful flowers. Your wife must have loved them.

Unknown said...

Hello Rog. I suppose we all get the day wrong at times, but the year.....

Unknown said...

Hello Anne. Yes, she did , thank you. They're handsome things, gladioli. They never have ANY scent, though.

Crowbard said...

Dear Mike,
Why not stand your Gladioli in lavender-water or rose-water for a really mystifying effect upon your visitors? Or sprinkle them with cinnamon occasionally to improve their pong-production?
PS
Are they named for the Roman stabbing sword, the gladius?

Unknown said...

Hello crowbard. Yes. The diminutive of the sword. Because of the leaves, I suppose. We've always liked them, and used to grow them, especially the bi-coloured ones. Does Jude grow them?

Crowbard said...

Yes Mike, Jude plants out bulbs most years... must confess, apart from the odd good day when I've mowed the lawn, I haven't spent much time in the garden. I enjoy Jude's displays but I rarely recall what is planted where. The different year's plantings all seems to run together - but it's a pleasant sort of confusion.