Thursday 30 August 2012

Thursday.


Once again I'm a day or two behind on my blog entries. On Tuesday we motored up to Costessey (in Norfolk fashion this is pronounced 'Cossey', or if you're a real native of High Norfolk (as we Norfolk fen folk call this area) probably something like Caaahsey, to have lunch with friends of ours, who've recently moved into and renovated a bungalow there.  Took the above photo of a church tower beside the A140 road. It has an early (1722) clock with a single hand which I've always intended to stop at and investigate, but never seem to leave meself time to do so.


As we neared Norwich we realised that we were rather ahead of time though, and as Ann said that her blood-caffeine level was now dangerously low, we stopped at Dunstone Hall (photographed above), which is now a hotel/golf club/conference centre, and imbibed decent coffee, and generally refreshed ourselves. Then on to Cath and Derek's new home (which they've made an incredibly good job of - internally it's more like one wing   neatly cut off a stately home than the usual bungalow).   Cath put on her usual absolutely georgeous meal. Basically roast chicken, but this description nowhere near does it justice, and she and Ann swapped recipes, so that Ann can have a go at reproducing it at some stage. This was followed by a choice of pudding, local fruit, etc., then coffee and chat.
Set off for home at 3.30ish, and took the following four photos through the nearside car window en route.
The A140 is a straight road that goes through several old villages.








The last photo is of the Stonham Magpie with its sign built right above and across the main road. I only know of one other similar sign, in the east midlands, and that is not over a main road now (been bypassed) but over a village street. Bit of a wonder the old Magpie sign has survived.

Must go and get on with some work now; have plenty waiting to be done -  in fact the forge AND workshop call.

12 comments:

Rog said...

There's a similar across road sign at Stanton East of Bury St Edmunds and I'm sure I remember driving under it. Just checked it here and it shows the road diverted past it. Not sure if I'm a victim of false memory now!

I suppose I won't be the first person to suggest a 1722 clock is right once a day ...:-(

Unknown said...

I can't remember exactly where the other one I remember is; but in memory I think it's about twenty miles (or so) west and a bit north of Cambridge). Wouldn't put any bets on it though. I don't remember one at Stanton, although, about forty years ago, there was a lovely old post mill there (I think).

The 1722 clock is right at least TWICE a day! even when stopped (which I don't think this one is).

Liz said...

Nice photos.

There are some pretty villages along the A140 but I'm not sure that 'good' is an adjective I would necessarily apply to that particular road. 'Slow' would be more like it; I still cannot believe how long it takes to drive to Norwich from Ipswich.

The George, located in the surprisingly picturesque Lincolnshire town of Stamford, has a pub sign that goes across the road.

(PS it took me in excess of 6 attempts to decipher the word verification for this comment)

Unknown said...

Hello Liz. Yes, I think perhaps you're right about the A140, although it does have some dual carriageway bits to it these days. I think my point was that we'd a nice easy run both ways on Tuesday. Anyway on consideration I've removed the offending adjective 'good'. I also think you're right about the George at Stamford having a sign across the road. I think there are probably more of them than I'd realised. I always think of them as old coaching Inn signs, although I don't know if I'm right.

Crowbard said...

Hello Liz,
if you get a real stinker of a verification combo you can always select a different one by clicking the C-shaped arrow icon next to the verification window. the present one is 240/13 ugsspe I think but the 240 is semi-obscured and above the 13 so I'll click the twizzling arrow and try again that's better 21 meriono apparently...

Rog said...

I don't want to be pedantic, although I do use a cycle quite often. But surely ther is only ONE 1722 per day? You see I'm using the 24 hour clock ...zzzz...

Unknown said...

Sorry Rog, being slow re 1722 clock. But that really is a Chinese Dentist time type joke, if you remember - tooth hurtee.

Crowbard said...

That really is a most effective piece of flim-flammery Rog. I looked at it for several seconds before I saw the point. Problem is we're so conditioned by dial clocks (which are rightish most of the time and twice a day when stopped) that we automatically translate digital and 24 hour times back into traditional mode. I respect the logic of your explanation but you will catch me out with it every time you use it. I'm a prisoner of my own mental landscape.

Liz said...

Hi Mike - I hadn't intended my dislike of the A140 to result in your editing your blog text!

Thanks for the WV tip Crowbard. I am already blowing the text up to an enormous size. Most days, I can get them at the first attempt but yesterdays were particularly tricky.

Crowbard said...

By the way Rog,
speaking of pedaling bicycles and other pleasant pedantries, how incorrect would it be to suggest that a penny-farthing is sesqi-pedenial?
The answer might be six inches, perhaps?

Pat said...

High Norfolk - the imagination boggles:)

Unknown said...

Hi Pat. If you were a native of the Norfolk fen country you would realise that a good deal of Norfolk is reasonably high - in comparison.