Sunday 26 August 2012

Sunday.


Just spent part of a quiet Sunday afternoon reroping a thirty hour longcase clock by a Well known Suffolk clockmaker. Having knocked off for a few minutes, and, although probably not of general interest, I thought I'd show you the items I bought on Friday at the Southwold Antique Fair.  The brass item above is the snuff box with a combination clock built into the lid. It works well and would be a very effective deterrent to a snuff thief.  Below the brass snuff box is a padlock built inside two silver threepenny pieces. I've included a pound coin to give some indication of size. In the centre is the key I adapted to fit the lock on Saturday morning. The padlock is six tenths of an inch across, and two tenths of an inch thick; the surround of the lock is also of silver, I think. The iron key is just under an inch long.


Above shows the padlock and key (and the pound coin) in more detail.


Above photo shows the other side of the padlock. The young (or 'bun') head of  Queen Victoria is visible on the padlock, and the young head of our present Queen is  on the pound.


This photo shows Friday's complete haul :- brass combination lock snuff box,  copper snuff box made from two copper twopenny pieces (1797), and the small silver padlock again.

9 comments:

Z said...

I have a silver sixpence somewhere, but not a silver threepenny piece. I think the threepenny bit is the coin I most miss post-decimalisation.

I have one friend who takes snuff - and who laughs in the face of the smoking ban - maybe it'll take on again as a consequence!

Crowbard said...

I don't recall the cartwheel tuppence having milled edges Mike, is that a modification to enable better purchase (pun intended) when unscrewing the lid?
Delightful items all. (shame the padlock pillars weren't silver too - the iron has quite pock-marked the young Queen Victoria's face.)

Unknown said...

Hello Zoe. I keep a small hoard of Joeys (silver threpennies) for use in the Pudding when the tribe are home for Christmas (usually on alternate years). The coins have to be pre 1920 to be certain they're silver. In 2008 I made sure that Great Gran (who was a hundred that year) had a threepenny piece in her pudding that was made in the year she was born - 1908. It resides in my weskit pocked now, because I don't know whether to put it back in the hoard ready for the next crowded Christmas?

Unknown said...

Crowbard - you're right, the cartwheel doesn't have milled edges. I think your guess about the purpose of the milling on this one is also correct. It's made from two tuppenny bits, is very well made, but is very slightly thicker than the usual tuppenny piece. They are all, as you say, nice items, but are none of them of great monetary value, which is why I feel alright illustrating them.

Unknown said...

P.s. Z - You now have two friends who take snuff - very occasionally and discretely in my case.

Pat said...

How lovely to be in reach of Southwold. Lovely memories of holiday with the children.

Unknown said...

Hello Pat. Rather oddly we have lovely memories of staying in Dunster with our children.

Crowbard said...

OK Mike, I give in, your charming description has sold it to me...
If you haven't already charmed another buyer with your cartwheel, please bring it when you come next and I'll take it off your hands.

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard.
No, nobody has seen it as yet. I've been soaking it up. I'll certainly bring it with me when next we come your way.
Regards, Mike.