Monday 5 November 2012

Monday.


Today we killed several birds with one stone. We set off from home at about 10 a.m., with, rather unusually, me driving, and Ann in the passenger seat photographing the colours of a lovely November day as we went along. The above photo Ann  said was to show the autumn colours of the roadside trees and shrubs, but it also shows some of my  own autumnal colouring, I'm afraid.
 

We were lucky enough, having arrived in Ely, to find a vacant parking place, with a  view of the Cathedral, right opposite the Fire Engine House, where we were to meet Ann's brothers and their partners, and have lunch.


And photographed above is the Fire Engine house, where we lingered over an excellent lunch, and spent a couple of hours catching up on the family news.
After lunch I delivered the painted clock dial which I've just restored, to its owner (who was pleased with it). Then we motored a few miles further to deliver, install, and set in beat, the clock I illustrated in the previous blog entry.

The above and below photograph show the clock set up and going at five to four this afternoon.


We had a cup of tea with the owner, then motored back to Ely and combed the Waterside Antique centre with some small success (two purchases, nothing exciting, but will make a decent contribution towards the petrol cost).
Eventually arrived home at about seven o'clock, with a feeling of a well spent, and  very pleasant day.

Good night all.

4 comments:

Z said...

Lovely sunny day today, just right for a day out. I like Ely very much.

Blimey, can't read the wv. This may take more than one go...

Unknown said...

Quite agree Z. Lovely day for a drive. And I do enjoy mixing business and pleasure.

Liz said...

It is more than 20 years since I properly visited Ely (I have changed trains there a couple of times since, but that doesn't count). I must rectify this.

I covet that clock...

Unknown said...

Hi Liz. I agree with both you and Z - Ely is a lovely little town- I beg its pardon - City.
I agree with you about the clock, too. It's pure Charles II , although I think that's almost a contradiction in terms if I think about it.