Monday 19 November 2012

Monday.


Spent the weekend near Milton Keynes with senior daughter, Sarah, her husband Mikey, and family. Took the above photo of a favourite riverside cottage in Bedfordshire, on our way over, at about midday on Saturday morning.


Stopped off at a pub in Great Barford for a sandwich lunch (in view of Sarah's reputation as a hostess, and in full expectation of a good dinner in the evening -later fully realised).  Like many English villages the Great Barford pub is, as you can see, right next door to the Church.


Above photo is of Ruby (left) and Sarah, enjoying a cuddle.


Took the above photo, on Sunday afternoon, when all her family was at home (Sarah's older two daughters having left home). They are, from left to right, Guy, Amelia, Mikey, Sarah, Lucy, and Sophie. Sarah had  put on her usual superb lunch. Sophie, and Amelia, with their respective partners left in the evening. We, that is Ann, meself, Sarah, and Mikey then sat down to a game of scrabble(Guy keeping score, and Lucy advising generally). I record this as the game had a very dramatic ending. Sarah had been leading in a very close game. She ended the game by going out on a seven letter word onto a triple, which scored 78 points. She scored another 52 points from the letters held by the other three of us, and which altered a score line of 107 to me, 76 to Ann, 111 to Mikey and 132 to Sarah, into a final score line of 93 to me, 58 to Ann, 91 to Mikey, and 262 to Sarah. A REMARKABLE effort!!!!!


Took above photo this morning in Sarah's kitchen, with Guy and Lucy, in school uniform and about to go off to school.

Took the below  photo this morning, really for the benefit of Crowbard, who commented on the use of shells as spandrels on long case clock dials. This one has the bog standard spandrels of cabbage roses, but it does have a large seashell in the arch. It was made by John Massey of Fakenham in Norfolk, who died in 1809. 
As I am sure most of my readers are aware, the battle of Trafalgar, at which Nelson, the 'Norfolk Hero' lost his life, took place on 21st October, 1805, and for some years thereafter maritime motifs were much used on Norfolk clock dials. 
 Being called upstairs for supper now, so - Goodnight All.
P.s. Reopen this blog entry to insert what I should have stressed before - it's been a really lovely, and very enjoyable, weekend.


9 comments:

Z said...

What a lovely weekend -and what a Scrabble result!

I'm trying to remember whom I spoke to about you the other day - I think it was Dav1d 0liver (from N'umberland, walks with a stick, wife died not too long ago) - he knows you from fairs, armoury connection.

We were invited next door for supper tonight, lovely!

Unknown said...

Have you got the name right, Z?
I must admit I'm rotten at names, although I'd probably know him instantly if I met him.
Sorry to be so vague. Regards, Mike.

Z said...

yes, I checked with the Sage and it's certainly David we were talking to. He has poor mobility, walks with difficulty.

Unknown said...

Thank you Zoe. Yes, I think I've got him. Very sorry to hear about his wife, though. Please give him our sympathy and regards, when you see him again.

Crowbard said...

Hallo Mike,
I see that picture of a cottage you put on your blog-site has disparu! Is the 'pooter still telling porky-pies about about memory space for photies?
Or are you just saving it for later?
LuvBruv
C

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbard. I found that the machine was reluctant still to accept photoes; then when I was busy deleting 'draft' entries from the dashboard, I inadvertantly deleted the entry with the cottage, so, until I can again work out a way of putting photoes on my blog, I'm afraid it will be writings only (if and when I can think of anything to write.

Crowbard said...

Whilst Horners would prefer to think than speak, I have never found you at a loss for words dear Bruv should occasion so demand. Could this be such an occasion?
Check your disc space, from 'start' menu click computer: look in the left hand column for C: or OS(C:) left click to get a menu then right click on'properties' It should show you how much available memory there is on your computer's hard-drive memory. If it has a few gigabytes free that is not the problem, if it is down to a few megabytes buy a new external hard drive from Amazon - you should be able to get a couple of Terrabytes for about £70

Lori Skoog said...

So nice that you can spend such good times with family. Love the stone wall around that cottage.

Crowbard said...

PS
I've become disoriented again! I think I've misdirected you and recommend reversing the sinister dexterity of my instructions. I think it results from 'normal' being right dominant but when it comes to mouse buttons it is the left one which takes predominance. My problem is being a conceptual rather than a literal thinker I suppose.

PPS Think I'll rename mouse keys Dominus & churl rather than Left & Right (I don't think the name Churl takes a capital 'C'!)