Thursday 23 June 2011

Thursday.


Now to try and catch up a bit. On Saturday last motored over to a school reunion. Above photo shows group of doddering old greybeards bellowing away at the school song ('Fory Years On' - although it was fifty some odd years on in fact), photo taken by Ann, who obviously felt that soft focus might be kinder. Stayed over with old school friend (and childhood neighbour) of Ann's.

On Monday morning Ann dropped me off at Manningtree Railway Station, where I caught a train to Liverpool Street.  Ann stayed at home because we were having a new gas boiler delivered and installed. I was in London (staying over at youngest daughter Lizzie's) to view two auctions at Christie's. At the second viewing (of Christie's Arms and Armour) I ran across Thomas Delmar (Sotheby's Arms and Armour) who kindly offered me a private preview of his next week's auction (thus saving me another two days in London next week). On Tuesday morning therefore viewed Sotheby's Arms sale with grandson Matthew. On asking Tom for a  bidding form he suggested that it was probably time Matthew started bidding for me!!!  Matt (who will be eighteen in August) shied away from this idea, but when he realised that there were only half a dozen lots that interested me, thought that perhaps he might be able to cope with these. So yesterday afternoon at Christie's Arms sale (to give him a bit of practice) I handed my (clearly marked) catalogue, and bidding number over to Matthew, and told him to get on with it, which, rather to the surprise of both of us, he did. We were in the front row (so I could hear the auctioneer), and he (the auctioneer) helped. He took Matt's bids, glancing at me for confirmation of the first few, then we all three found it was going well and relaxed. Matt bid for seven lots, didn't get any of them (although he was under bidder on two of them); But it has given him (and me) confidence for next Wednesday when he'll be bidding on his own- again with a clearly marked catalogue. Anyway I know Thomas will be keeping a helpful eye on him. Filled my three days in London to the full. Yesterday, before the sale, which was an afternoon one, gave Matthew and granddaughter Beth lunch at the Victoria and Albert Museum, where there is a good (and not too expensive) canteen. Caught the seven thirty train from Liverpool Street. Ann met me at Manningtree, and we were home by nine.

Spending today catching up (and catching me breath, if I'm honest).

18 comments:

Christopher said...

May I drop in? As soon as I saw the photo I thought some kind of choral activity must be going on. I assume Mike was conducting? He has the stance of Karajan.

Unknown said...

Hello Christopher. You are, of course, welcome to drop in any time you're this way. No, I'm the whiskery old bloke just to the left of the conductor's left arm. The conductor is called- dash me, I've forgotten his name (hyphenated of course).
Good to hear from you Christopher. Regards, Mike.

Unknown said...

Ref the conductor - memory finally functioned :- Dawson.

Rog said...

It can be a bit daunting, bidding in a major auction. I would have run a mile from it at the age of 17!

Lori Skoog said...

Busy...busy.

Unknown said...

Hello Rog. Yes, I think I might have, too. On the other hand he's been helping me around the major rooms for the past three years, so he's sort of used to it. When I asked his mother if she minded him bidding she replied that she didn't if he didn't, but that what would worry her was whether he'd get up in time!!!(the auction starts at 12 noon, and his first lot at about 1.30 p.m.
Oh well, we'll see.

Unknown said...

Hi Lory. Yes, but I coped with it, and I think it keeps me fit to stay fairly busy. And anyway, reading your blog, you're a fine one to talk!!!

Sir Bruin said...

Sounds like you had a fun three days. Afraid you're going to have to explain "bidding farm" to me. I assume it is nothing to do with agricultural machinery?

Unknown said...

Sorry, Sir B., typo (now corrected- thank you). Should have been bidding form. Two types, one for absentee bidding, one for telephone bidding. Use both occasionally, but being there at the auction is better, so you get a feel for what's happening or likely to; and also, if everyone is going to sleep, the autioneer sometimes wakes everyone up by dropping the hammer on an opening bid. Doesn't happen often these days, but nice if you're the recipient whose made a cheeky bid.

stigofthedump said...

Good old Matt - knew he would come in handy one day !!!
Feel quite proud of 'Godson' (not technically but in spirit).
Hope all is weel - crossword a bit of a stinker - only managed one so far, will give it another go when small hillock of ironing is complete.Almost have the house to ourselves today, Lucy playing in football tournament, Gut play 18 holes at Woburn with F & J and Amelia in the bath !!!
Off to retirement do tonight - Deborah Barker ( catering manager ) is finally going !! Then next weekend down to Sarah & Kieran to see the latest work on their renovation project/house.
Later in July, Italian christening do in Leighton Buzzard and then Glyndebourne then HOLIDAY !!!
Not sure where this year has gone - 25 June (Janes B'day) is half way between Christmas's - feeling like life is beginning to pass a little too fast, is it my age ??
Will call tomorrow as out tonight and compare crossword answers ( or lack of ! )
Much Love
Stig
x

Z said...

Ronan started bidding when he was three or four years old. I will check the details with the Sage and that'll be my blog post planned for the day.

Unknown said...

Hello Z. Bidding at three or four has to be a record. I was bidding in my mid teens, as was daughter Ruth, I think. But three or four......... Has to have been well trained.

Unknown said...

P.s. too many 'has to's. Please read one of them as a 'must have'.

Unknown said...

But should state that it was only at country auctions. Didn't bid in the major rooms until I was around twenty (or a little over).

Unknown said...

For the results of Matthew's first attempts at major auction bidding see entry for Wednesday 29th June.

Nea said...

Quite right Pa. I was 14 or 15 the first time I bid for you at one of the country auctions, but I had my grandfather there as back up, not that it stopped me spending your money on a lot that you hadn't viewed. Sorry, if you want your 25 pounds back, I'll be happy to take it off your wall any time :)

Unknown said...

Hello Nea. I did so view the lot at Grounds in Wisbech. We both agreed it was a nice picture, then I moved on the clocks I was supposed to be viewing, and didn't leave you any instruction as to the painting by Casson. I was very glad that you bid for it on your own initiative. It took me about thirty years to discover that the street scene was of Mayfield in Sussex. It still, as you know, hangs in the dining room.
Thank you daughter. I'm very grateful.
Your loving progenitor, Mike.

Unknown said...

P.s. And next time you're home, Ruth, later this summer, I believe, you'd better put your name on the back of it (Casson picture, that is.)