Monday 27 June 2011

Monday.




For the benefit of Christopher and my old friend (well, early middle aged friend) Forde-Innes (and it's good to hear from you again, Neil), the two photoes  show  a snaphaunce lock (above, as befits its seniority) and,  the one below, a flintlock , both detached from their guns. The below picture shows the outside of the locks, and the above picture their innards. The differences between the two then become so obvious as to require no further explanation; except perhaps I should say that the snaphaunce has a  pan cover separate from the steel, whilst the flintlock has a combined pan cover and steel.
Perhaps though, I should also say that the above picture makes it clear that the true flintlock employs a vertically acting scear, whilst this snaphaunce lock (being early Italian) uses a horizontally acting double scear, rather like, as you've probably already spotted, the wheel lock does.
P.s.  I should, perhaps, have made it clear that I am, of course, using Torsten Lenk's definition of the true (or French) flintlock.
All clear now chaps?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Rog said...

Yes thanks Mike. I'm fired with enthusiasm, like the people on the Apprentice.

Pat said...

I guessed it had something to do with guns. I'm clever like that:)

Unknown said...

Apun my word Rog, up to your usual high standard.
Feminine intuition Pat ?