Tuesday 5 February 2019

Tuesday.


Yesterday Lizzie drove me over to Kesgrave, where, at Saint Michael's Church, we attended the funeral of an old friend of mine. He and I sang in the same male voice choir for  thirty five years or so. He was a second tenor and I was a second base. We got there with fifteen minutes or so to spare. The Chairman of  the choir very cordially invited me to sing with them once again, but as I felt I didn't really know the piece the choir would be singing I declined;  but when we got to the hymns in the  service I was able to let rip with them.




After the service we met up for refreshments at  the nearby Seckford Hall, where again I was able to renew a good many old aquaintance. Took the above photo outside Seckford Hall. Been there once before (about forty years or so ago). It's a lovely Tudor brick place, and hasn't been altered much inside or out.
As funerals go, it was a very good one; and it's always good to meet old friends.

Must take Ann to lunch at Seckford, soon. She remembers going there in the sixties, but as a hotel, I think it's altered and improved a good deal.

3 comments:

Lori Skoog said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Over 30 years in a choir is very impressive. Gary sang bass for the 7 years we were in a chorus. It must have felt good to join in on the hymns.

Mike said...

Thank you Lori. It's very satisfying singing in a choir, and it was very satisfying picking up the threads at the service, of course.

Mike said...

Have done so (taken Ann to lunch here).Had the place toourselves, and it was very disappointing- run of the mill. I suppose it's one of those places that enjoys putting on a meal for fifty, but doesn't really care about catering for one or two.