Saturday 10 January 2015

Saturday.


 On Thursday last Ann began to show signs of a streaming cold developing; On Friday there was no doubt about the matter, so Ann (who was a senior nursing sister before she retired) decreed that it would be a good idea to 'batten down hatches' until we are no longer infectious. This involved cancelling a number of social engagements (on the 'phone so as not to infect anyone), and making sure that we have enough supplies in the house. We've  lived on leftovers since. Today for lunch I made squubble and beak (a la Rev. Spooner), served up with a fried egg on top. Ann's been having her coffee with a shot of brandy in it, and I'm about to make meself  a hot toddy (equal quantities of scotch and water, with a squeeze of lemon, and honey to taste). Neither of these two drinks do much to cure the cold, but they do cheer us up a bit.

 The top photo was taken yesterday from our kitchen window when FIVE goldfinches were congregated on the bird feeder - well actually it was taken a split second after there were five goldfinches on the feeder. As I pressed the camera bulb three of them flew (of course)

.

This morning I found that we had snowdrops in flower in the garden, which was a nice surprise. As I bent down to get a good picture of the snowdrops, I had even more of a surprise - behind the snowdrops  were some purple hellbore, also in flower.


The folk name for these used to be Christmas Roses, and I should think that these were showing colour at Christmas. Must try and remember to check next year.

I've a date with a hot toddy now, followed by  an early bed (probably with a hot water bottle).

Good Night All.

10 comments:

Z said...

Hope you are both better soon. You're wise to hole up and stay warm, you'll recover all the quicker.

I'm having a drop of whisky as a preventive measure.

Rog said...

Good Health folks! A few early signs of a distant Spring makes for encouragement at least.
I seem to have gone down with shingles this week so am also battening down hatches in case I give the dreaded chicken pox to anyone.

Lori Skoog said...

Sorry to hear that Ann has a cold. I have been fighting with one for 2 and a half weeks. The only thing I have managed to do...going out to the barn morning and night to feed the horses and clean stalls. Fortunately Gary has been helping me the entire time. Hopefully I am on the upswing. This solitary confinement has been a real drag. Stay well!

Unknown said...

Thank you Z. Prevention is better than cure, of course.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about the shingles, Rog. My late father was badly shot up in the second World War, then when he was about seventy he had a bad case of shingles. He told me that the shingles was far and away the worse. Makes a cold sound very small beer in comparison.

Unknown said...

Thank you Lori. Hope you're soon better. Regards to Gary. Tell him I don't have any stables to muck out, but I do seem to have taken on the majority of the housekeeping pro tem.

Liz said...

Is there anyone out there who is not ill at the moment? Anyone at all?

Get well soon everybody.

Z said...

I'm still bouncing with rude health, Liz. I realise I'm making myself a hostage to fortune here...

Crowbard said...

God bless you all good friends and family, and God speed your recoveries.

As one who has suffered greatly from 'penduli plumbi' for fifteen years or more, I completely empathise with your very painful and incommodious conditions.
Especially well done Lori, working up a glow in the stables is the surest road to recovery (hope Garry can keep up with you); and especial sympathy for Rog (keep your hands and the skin around your eyes scrupulously aseptic with baby-wipes) shingles can go horribly horrid. Ne rota molendini carborundum.... Hark For'ard!

Unknown said...

Crowbard - I think the quotation used to be given as 'Noli illegitimi carborundaum', which, of course, translates as 'Don't let the bastards grind you down.'