Saturday 22 June 2013

Saturday.


Last Monday our box hedges finally got cut. I know it should be done on Derby Day (according to traditionally minded gardeners), but we're not superstitious and neither is Ken, our jobbing gardener who did the job. Our garden looks a lot neater for its 'haircut'.
Walked into town on Friday morning. Took the below two photos  of neighbours'  roses which seem to be burgeoning (hope I'm using that word aright) into full bloom all over the place.





Took the below  two snapshots of a flowering shrub in the churchyard. Haven't really looked at it before. I assumed it was some sort of mock orange blossom, but it's not very much like one and the scent is not at all like.

As the below photo of the same shrub shows,  it's full of  five petalled white flowers with a pale pink centre. The centre, when looked at closely is almost a 'salmon' pink. Admire it but wouldn't have room for one in our small garden, which it would dominate. Odd that - the smaller the garden, the more carefully you have to choose what to put in it.

Anyway - if anyone knows what the above shrub is, I would be grateful if you'd share the information.

Nearly bed time - that's  reminded me of an incident that occurred last night at 2.50 a.m.  We were sleeping in our spare front bedroom (our usual room and Ann's little needlework room are being decorated - and a good deal of the contents of the smaller room had been moved into the room in which we were sleeping), when at ten to three in the morning (as stated) there was a reverberating crash which seemed to shake the room. We both sprang up wide awake, and, pausing only to grab the sword stick which I keep beside the bed for decoration, I rushed to repel boarders, protect our home,  and generally find out WHY our rest had been so rudely disturbed. Didn't take long. I nearly tripped over a large pile of books which had fallen over - the contents of a large bookcase which had been moved out of the sewing room, and rather untidily stacked against the wall of the room we were sleeping in.  Life is full of surprises.

                          Goodnight All.

7 comments:

Z said...

I don't recognise that at all, I'm afraid, but if none of your readers can come up with a name, I could put the photo on my blog - I've several keen gardeners who read it.

Crowbard said...

Hi Mike,
I've yet to look it up but I believe that burgeon is spelled along the same lines as surgeon.
Must confess I have a very decorative M69 Mauser bayonet at my bedside, kindly donated by a Swedish Army Captain/Scientific Officer. Equally handy for re-stacking fallen books or re-sticking fallen low-life. Lovely floral photos too, glad Pooh sorted out your software, 'fraid I'm getting left behind on the technology front - can't even remember my Fortran, Algol and Assembler codes these days. Still, as I haven't written any programs these last 30 years, I probably won't need to look them up again.

Rog said...

You should be careful of that decorative swordstick Michael!

Box Hedges look very nice. - needs a bit of Parsley (boxes, parcel-ly etc)

Unknown said...

Thank you Z. I'd be interested to know. Haven't room for one (as I said), but it's a lovely shrub.

Unknown said...

Hello Crowbar; You're quite right re burgeoning. Should have looked it up before using it. It didn't look right, but some words don't however you spell them. And thanks for the time spent trying, the other evening.I don't think I shall ever feel completely familiar with the whole of the computer.

Unknown said...

Hello Rog -
First paragraph - You're quite right, kept as 'ornament or curiosity'. I never take it walkies.
Second paragraph - Oh dear, oh dear!

Unknown said...

Hello Rog -
First paragraph - You're quite right, kept as 'ornament or curiosity'. I never take it walkies.
Second paragraph - Oh dear, oh dear!