Tuesday 16 April 2013

Tuesday.


Yesterday afternoon, we motored across to Sudbury, where Ann wanted to do some grocery shopping at the Waitrose grocery store (it's far to big to call it a grocery shop) . In fairness to her, before she gave herself this treat, we went to my tailor's for some socks and a tie that I'd ordered (red paisley pattern - the tie that is, not the socks). Ann then very kindly dropped me off at the canteen in Waitrose, where I sat at a window seat, had a cuppa, and caught up on the news in the newspapers so considerately supplied by the management. Then on the road again, but came home via the back roads and lanes. We drove via Boxford, where Ann took the above photo of the church, and I took the below snapshot of the village street.


Then on via Groton, where I took the below snapshot through a farmhouse/manor house gateway. To the right of the gateway are Primroses , of which the banks and dykesides are now full,


A mile or so further along, and in a field to the left of the road (and this is the point of today's blog entry) two big jack hares were disporting themselves, larking about, boxing,  racing in circles, and generally frolicking with each other. Hares seem to be pretty thin on the ground these days, and these were the first I'd seen this year, and behaving like 'mad March hares' are supposed to behave - except that this was the 15th April - have these lovely, daft, creatures no sense of tradition????   Oh well, everything is late this year, and they at least appeared to be trying to make up for lost time.

Good Night All.

10 comments:

Liz said...

We are very fortunate in Suffolk to have so many unspoilt villages and such a lot of lovely medieval buildings. I really must make more effort to go and look at them more often.

Sir Bruin said...

Point taken, Mrs B. We'll get the bike out at the next available weather window and go in search of medievality.

Lori Skoog said...

Mike and Ann,
I just caught up with what you have been doing and went back to March 19th. Birthdays, daffs, incredible architecture, walking into town and more. That church organ is quite something and I liked seeing the view from your bedroom window...it really gave me a different perspective, as I usually see your garden or the interior of your home. You both look terrific...nice that someone will come to your home to give you a hair cut! So glad you are doing well after your heart attack! Keep it that way.

Z said...

I have a joyous memory of taking the earliest train to London more than 30 years and, in the early morning mist, seeing hares boxing in a field and then leaping around madly. I was on my way to the Chelsea Flower Show, so I know it was late May at the time.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Liz, Sir B. and LOri. Good to hear from you.
Z. I've just been looking hare behavious up. Apparently they can do the 'mad' gallop at almost any time of year; but are more likely to do so in March. So my mid April, and your late May sightings are not that unusual. Although, to my mind, almost any sightings of hare are now quite unusual. Which is a shame, as in my opinion (which is not politically correct, of course) hare is the most delicious meat on God's Earth.

Crowbard said...

What Mike! Hare more delicious than reindeer?... You must bring some with you next visit and I'll try to dob a reindeer so we can investigate this anomaly.

PS. Can you dob reindeer as you do hares? Quietly sidling by their form as if you hadn't seen them, then suddenly laying hold of their ears, and making away with them in a bag?
It's been ages since I saw reindeer around here and I can't recall ever seeing one in a grassy form or nest!

Unknown said...

Hi Crowbard. If anything - yes; although the way Lars Olav prepares a dish of reindeer would make it a close run thing. But I loved a roast (or better still, a well hung, jugged) hare, before I'd ever tasted reindeer.
P.s. I never came across the method you describe of taking hare. You made that up?

Crowbard said...

You over-rate my imagination Mike, it's an old Leicestershire method of putting free meat on the table. It seems when they're nested in their form they trust to camouflage more than their phenomenal speed. Provided you are not looking at them and follow a line that takes you by them instead of directly to them, they prefer to stay still; just when they think you're passing them you bend the knees and take them by the convenient handles atop their heads. They kick pretty hard so lift them high and quick. Once you've popped them in a bag and closed it they settle down quietly again.

Nea said...

His reindeer is good, but his moose is even better.

Unknown said...

M'yes...... I'd hate to have to choose between them. Lasse's Roast moose is indeed excellent, but that dish he does with chopped reindeer, wild mushrooms (chanterelles ?) and cream, is out of this world deelish (and then some !!!!)