Friday 22 February 2013

Friday.


Tomorrow we celebrate our fiftieth wedding anniversary. Above is one of the photos from our wedding photograph album. You must remember that on the 23rd February, 1963,  we were having the worst winter (well, the coldest, anyway) on record, so that when the photos were taken there was still a great deal of hard, frozen snow about, and the temperature was still way below freezing. By the time this was taken the happy wedding smiles were fast becoming (literally) frozen grins.  Ann made her wedding dress (she still has it).  I was given the 'morning suit' in the photo, by an old friend of the family (a Col. Keates), who said he thought he'd never wear it again, as he could no longer get into it (I still have it, and can still get into it, although it's a snugger fit than it used to be). My best man, young Crowbard, hired his morning suit, and fortunately a pair of gloves came with it, so we carried one each. Economies of that sort were very necessary  for us at that time.
We're holding a family 'get together' tomorrow, with lunch at our favourite hostelry, to celebrate. A bit later today we're motoring over to Stanstead to pick up Ruth and her girls at the airport.
Just being called upstairs to lunch.  More later perhaps, although that will depend on what time we get back from the airport.





would never wear i

5 comments:

Z said...

I hope you have a wonderful day celebrating a wonderful marriage. How very young you both were! I'm rather in favour of young marriage, as long as you are prepared to change together as time goes on.

Maggie said...

50 years ago tonight I was being fed cornflakes with hot milk and sugar by Nana and then tucked up in bed with a stone hot water bottle after a cuddle (this being the first night away from home). I was so excited by being a bridesmaid,wearing my favourite colour, yellow, and possibly being the only one one of the wedding party who wasn't cold asAnn had very kindly made me a very warm cape.

What really amazes me is the fact that we made it over to Norfolk despite the worst winter for a decade or more. Considering this was in very old cars and the roads were not gritted in those days is amazing. We were made of stern stuff then, they are all wimps now days!

Crowbard said...

Fondest good wishes to you both and to you all from your useless best man. I get no better at being a best man but am considerably more experienced at being useless. Deepest regrets I can't be with you despite all the kind offers of transport from family members. Joyous blessings and jollifications,
LuvBruv

Rog said...

Big congratulations !!!!!! Have a wonderful celebration.

If I had kept my wedding suit I would have to be crowbard into it

Crowbard said...

Jude say WOW!
Thanks for the invite, thanks for the 'do' and thanks for the elephant pie-crust funnel. You really know how and where to celebrate!
Again, apologies for absence and thanks for the mica - I shall have to finish tidying up Nana's three-wick oil-stove... soon. I've still got her original slice of mica somewhere in the garage, but may resort to shaping a fresh piece.

PsS Hi Rog... if I can assist in any way...?