Monday 28 May 2012

Monday.


I mentioned a few days ago how well the aquilegia are doing this year. Their folk-name, certainly in East Anglia, is either Granny's bonnets or Granny's night caps. They are one of Ann's favourite flowers, and I can quite see why. They come in an almost infinite variety of colours and shapes. Our friends, Sue and David, who live at the other end of our town have a superb collection of them, and I look forward to seeing them in a few days time, when we go to a ninetieth birthday party of a mutual friend that they are hosting.
             
                                          ________________________________________

Changing the subject a bit; at the weekend I purchased the below illustrated snuff box. It is just over two inches wide across the lid, is English, and it dates from around the year 1800 - 1820. The seller told me that the beautifully  turned disk inset into the lid is of ebony. It isn't.
Would anyone care to have a guess at what the substance is?  I know because I had a very fine one through my hands a good many  years ago, and had to research it. They are rather rare. I think this is the fourth one I've ever had. Have a bash. And before you ask, Rog or Crowbard, there are no prizes, just the kudos of showing off your knowledge.
The answer is unexpected but interesting; well, I think so anyway.

Good night All.

11 comments:

stigofthedump said...

Very early plastic. ?
Just kidding....
It's very frustrating as I'm sure I have seen one of these before, is it animal, Vegetable or mineral ???
I think it may be rhino horn or similar - am I right ??
Much love Stig
ps I am missing 6 from this weekends crossword, will call in the next couple of days so hang onto yours !!!!

Rog said...

It's too old to be Parkesine, the precursor to Bakelite. I would guess animal but can't put finger on which one.

Crowbard said...

First guess would be of Whitby origin; but without the feel of it in your hand it is a bit of a poser Mike.
I shall have another look and guess again.
A very pleasant object indeed.

Crowbard said...

Yup, I'm sticking with my first impression, on further examination you can almost feel the hard coolness of the jet.

Unknown said...

Good morning Stig, Rog and Crowbard.
Stig's question first - it's mineral with vegetable origins I should think.

It is in fact coal. They are said to be 'mine owners' boxes, and to be made by turners from the finest, closest grained coal in the mine. I should think they're probably fairly breakable, but I should also think they're 'table' snuffs, rather than 'pocket' snuffs, so should have a less hectic existance.

P.s. Crowbard arguably got nearest.

Unknown said...

P.s. Stig- yes, I finished the crossword off yesterday, after a little collusion with Sheila. Are the six that you haven't done in the top left hand corner? That area took me longest. Give me a ring sometime this week.
Love, Pa and Granny.

Unknown said...

P.s. Stig- yes, I finished the crossword off yesterday, after a little collusion with Sheila. Are the six that you haven't done in the top left hand corner? That area took me longest. Give me a ring sometime this week.
Love, Pa and Granny.

Rog said...

Do you know I almost suggested Coal as my first instinct but thought I would sound silly. Lesson there.

You and Crowbard are like Sherlock and Mycroft.

Crowbard said...

Like the many other varieties of coal, jet is a product of high pressure decomposition of wood over millions of years. It is formed from the wood of Araucariaceae. Found in two grades, hard jet forms under salt water; soft jet forms in the presence of fresh water. The jet found at Whitby is of early Jurassic (Toarcian) age, approximately 182 million years old. As a coal variety it is also known as lignite but is not considered as good as anthracite for this purpose.

Unknown said...

Thank you Rog. Been thinking about that, and I think I'd make a rather more convincing Doctor Watson.

Crowbard said...

Thank you Rog, I find that an exceptionally welcome (and rare) compliment. Can't remember the last time I entered the Diogenes club though!