Monday 9 May 2011

Monday.

On Friday afternoon we motored across to the South Midlands to spend the weekend with senior daughter Sarah, her husband Mikey, and their four children. Above is Guy (who is eleven) and is on his way out for his weekly game of golf with his other grandparents.



Above are some of the ladies of the household, Sarah, Lucy, mango (one of the cocker spaniels - the other one is Ruby) and senior granddaughter Sophie.

Took this one when we got home this morning. It's the first rose of summer (to be sung in a quavering tremolo - no, sorry, that's the LAST rose of summer).


Snapshot of garden near the back gate.
During the weekend spent some time repairing and adjusting a Norfolk long case clock, ably assisted by grandson Guy (he passed me clockpins, and hammers, and other tools of my trade, usually before I asked him). During the weekend played two games of scrabble (the four adults - though the two senior granddaughters would disagree with this description as they, too, are adults -21 and 19). Mikey easily won the first game, and I just scraped home first in the second game, six points ahead of Sarah. Very pleasant relaxed weekend.

Headed for home this morning. We'd originally planned to meet up for lunch in Bury St. Edmund's with Ann's brothers and their partners, but heard last night that the youngest of the family, Tim, was due in hospital this morning for an emergency examination of his private insides, so the lunchtime get together was cancelled. Since we've been home Tim has 'phoned to tell Ann what the trouble is, but she says that as it's Tim's PRIVATE insides, and as he reads this blog, I am not to say (although they're trying to treat it with antibiotics - which astonishes me). Anyway Tim, if you read this we do wish you a speedy rcovery to good health and to whatever passes for normality in your case. It sounds a ghastly, painful, business, and you are in our thoughts and prayers. Goodnight and God bless you. (Which good wishes I extend to all my readers.)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sir Bruin said...

I tried the quavering tremelo as suggested. Sadly, the other occupant of my office threw a stapler at me.

Unknown said...

Yes. It's the second verse, I find, that usually gets to them.
"I'll not leave thee, thou lone one to pine on the stem.
Since the lovely are sleeping,
Go sleep thou with them....."

At which point they either burst into tears, or start throwing things, usually both.
There's no pleasing some people. They just aren't musical, although I've come across some who claim that they are musical, and that's the problem...........

Crowbard said...

I stand in awe of your vocal acceptability Mike, I have yet to complete the first verse before being overwhelmed with derision, abuse and violent demands for silence. And that's just from the kitty-cats!

DILLIGAF said...

My pond plant...thingy...has flowered for the first time in years...

Beautiful family old bean.

Beautiful.

4D