Monday 9 August 2010

Monday 1.


This morning we motored out into the depths of Suffolk to call on friends, and, hopefully, fix two clocks for them. They live in a secluded old farmhouse. Diana made us coffee, then Terry let me loose on the clocks (both old aquaintance and both dating to the 1730-1750 period). The first was a laquer cased grandfather by a Norwich maker, on which the under dial work was jammed (due to a problem with the strike/silent dial). This one yielded to my ministration in about five minutes flat, and has now resumed its full duties, I'm glad to report. The second one, a small bracket timepiece by a London maker (not one of the major ones), was very reluctant to go at all. Set it in beat, and it then appeared to be running fairly happily. However, I was not entirely happy with it, and have booked it in later in the year, when I have less on. I think (and hope) that a fairly minor internal operation will cure it. The four of us sat round the kitchen table chatting, drinking coffee, and generally setting the world in order, whilst I tinkered with its insides, and mentally eliminated the potential problems of the clock. I think I now know what, and where, the problem may be.
Left them at 11.30, and drove on as far as Sudbury, where Ann needed to do some grocery shopping. While she did it I walked around the town and took photoes for the blog, one of which is illustrated above. From memory I think it's the old Moot Hall. More in a min.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: