Friday 6 August 2010

Friday 2.



Sorry about the delay (four hours) between me knocking off for a minute and charging upstairs for a cuppa with grandson Matthew, and finally resuming blogging. In the meantime we had just started to partake of said cuppa, when Annie came home from a trip out with friends Brenda and Judy. We then all had tea, and when Brenda and Judy went home played scrabble (which Matthew won by two points) whilst dinner was cooking , had dinner, then another game of scrabble which Matthew again won (by eight points this time), and I finally came down to complete the blog. I must say he is becoming a really good player. He makes me exert meself. He tells me he only ever plays the game when he's here.
To return to the theatre in the forest. There were eight players in the cast, all of whom doubled or tripled the characters they were playing. The above player's main character was as Puck. I have published this photograph because here he is playing in a small orchestra before the play actually started. The instrument he is playing you will, of course, recognise as a tea chest double base. It interested me because I played a similar instrument in a village skiffle group in the late 1950s. Yesterday evening's play was excellently well performed by a cast of very talented youngsters. We all thoroughly enjoyed our evening.
Been a busy day today, Cafe Church as usual this morning, followed by shopping in town, then home for lunch, Ann and Matthew helped at the Luncheon Club, then Ann out with friends to celebrate Judy's birthday, and evening as described above. I'm about ready for bed now, Ann went up twenty minutes ago. Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Maggie said...

Well Lonnie, I never knew you were in a skiffle group! The things you never know about family! Goodnight Mr Donegan

Unknown said...

Hi Maggie. It was the Welney skiffle group. There were about seven or eight of us. All in our mid/late teens. 1958/9. Then,over a period we'd all left school, were doing other things, and it broke up. I was male vocalist and played, as stated, a home made double base, or whatever percussion instrument was needed, and available. We were not great, but skiffle was easy, mostly rhythm, and looking back, we really weren't too bad.
Cheers, Mike.

Z said...

This is the first time in about 20 years that I haven't booked for any concerts at Snape, either the Festival or the Proms. In fact, I've nothing booked at all at present, which is a bit dismal. Glad you enjoyed your Shakespeare.

Your reference to Long Melford - I've friends who sell books at fairs there - Gordon and Lorna. Do you know them?

Unknown said...

Thank you Z. Not a book fair, though. On the first Wednesday in every month an antique fair is held at the village hall. I deal in early clocks, guns, and metalware. Accent on 'early'. It's open from 9a.m. to 3.30p.m. It's rather a tradey fair, but quite a good one. We usually manage to buy there, and if you feel like coming along I guarantee you'll see some interesting stuff. If you do, please introduce yourselves. We'd love to meet you.
Regards, Mike and Ann.

Unknown said...

P.s. Sorry Z. Didn't answer your question. Don't think I know Gordon and Lorna, although I'm rotten at names, so probably know them by sight. Did know a couple some years ago who dealt in (and collected) Lowestoft porcelain, which I think is your speciality. Their name was Corson or Cawston, I think. Do (or probably did) you know them? They were from Norfolk (or North Suffolk).

Z said...

You answered it by inference - I expect they do go to the book fairs rather than the antique fairs.

Yes, I knew them - well, still know him; the former name is the correct one. Margaret died in a car accident a few years ago.

If I get to Long Melford, I'll certainly introduce myself - similarly, do let me know if you're coming my way - the Bungay area.

Unknown said...

Thank you Z. That is as we remember it. If and when you see Dr. Corson, please remember us to him. When they did the antique fair at Langley School, we backed onto their stsllspace for a while.

Unknown said...

Sorry - stall space.