Friday 28 August 2009

Friday.

 


Above is a photo of a pretty little pub a few miles from here that we passed today on our way home.

Set out at about 8.40 a.m. and motored to Southwold, where we called on friends Jonathan and Jo, partly to drink coffee, and partly to fix a recalcitrant long case clock. The thing about long case clocks, is that when you think you know the lot about them, one of them goes wrong in a totally new and unforeseen way. I won't bore you with the technical details, other than to say I put it right in a totally new and unforeseen way by performing kitchen table surgery ably assisted by a Professor of Pharmaceuticals (hope I've spelled that right). We then got down to the serious business of drinking coffee (in my case tea) before adjourning to Saint Felix School where we attended an Antique Fair. Spent a very happy hour or so looking at some lovely items, and meeting a good many old friends. We (that is Ann and I)didn't buy anything, although Jo found and eventually purchased a very fine piece of Edwardian enamel work. Then motored round to Walberswick where a table had been booked for lunch for us. We all had fish cakes in a leek sauce with chips. For pudding we had blackcurrant fool (I've already explained that one, Lori) with meringue. On our way home we stopped off at Blythburgh and took photoes of the Church (which is, I think, my very favourite Church) some of which I'll publish tomorrow, D.V. Goodnight all.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Nea said...

Goody, something to look forward to!
Did you take one of the door?

Lori Skoog said...

Are you sure you explained black current fool? Could I have missed it?
Sounds good to me.

Tim Clayton said...

The correct spelling is farmersuetickle I have no evidence but the only famer I think Sue tickled was my brother Michael. Sorry bad joke but it is still only 5.32am.

Pat said...

Aeons ago we had two lovely holidays with the children in Southwold. A delightful part of the country and I'm sad it is fairly inaccessible to us now. Lunch sounds good:)

Unknown said...

Hi Nea. Yes, but the one in the porch, not the one I think you mean, with the lightning (Devil's claw marks) on it.

Hi, Lori. Yes, we've had this conversation before (June 21st) only that time it was rhubarb fool, not black currant fool. It is made with fruit, custard and cream, and is a sort of loose mousse, as best I can describe it.

Hi Tim. No- good joke. Didn't know there was such a time! well not for blogging anyway. Your sister would have something to say if I blogged at 5.32 a.m.!!!!!

Lori Skoog said...

Mike...Winnie is 24. And I get it about the fool. Yum!

Unknown said...

Hi Pi. Yes, Southwold is a lovely 'family' seaside town. I first holidayed there towards the end of the second world war (as a child). It has changed remarkably little since then. Isn't it good that there are a few places like Horner and Southwold that have survived unspoiled ?